6 days post-op & can't ge****er/protein in, need tips

volleyballgirl
on 5/29/11 11:22 am - Germantown, MD
I had a RNY on May 23rd, last Monday, and everything went well.  On my first full day home last Wednesday, I started in on my goal of 48 ounces of water and 70 grams of protein each day.  For Wednesday through Friday, I was doing great and meeting the goals.  Last night, I had such uncomfortable fullness, I pushed on the protein and fell short a glass of water.  Today was even worse- 30g short on protein and 15 oz. short on water.  I don't want to end up dehydrated or malnourished.  How worried should I be?  Veterans, please send ideas and tips.  I need them!
Elizabeth N.
on 5/29/11 12:51 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Relax on the protein and push the fluids. You don't need protein yet nearly as much as you need WATER.

SkinnySal
on 5/29/11 5:26 pm - Roselle Park, NJ
I drank isopure. 20oz is 40 grams of protien. I had 2 to 3 a day and I was good.

Is your water cold? I could only drink it if it was cold.

Joeyzgirl
on 6/1/11 12:55 am - Crocker, MO
I was the same way, wanted my water freezing cold otherwise it made my pouch hurt...
dandalf
on 5/29/11 9:43 pm - OH
I had the same surgery on the same day.  I've started hittng my protein goals with "protein shots" from GNC.  42-50g protein in a 3 oz tube for about 3 bucks.  Like you, I'm not hittng my water goals, but I'm working on it.  
Mary Catherine
on 5/30/11 1:47 am
 If you don't get in enough water, you can get dehydrated very quickly.

If you don't get in enough protein, you might get malnourished, but it will take months or even years.  If you are heavy enough to need weight loss surgery, your body has reserves of fat to draw from.  The doctor from Big Medicine, Garth Davis, said that he has never actually seen a weight loss surgery patient with a protein deficiency.  Protein companies scare us by saying we must use their supplements. The supplements are good and will help you, but you will not get sick if you can't get in a certain amount of protein grams each day.

Concentrate on getting in your water now.  A good idea is to set a timer and try to sip one ounce every 15 minutes.  Sugarfree pops, sugarfree jello, crystal light and herbal teas are some things that count and can make it easier to stay hydrated.  I learned to keep a bottle of water next to my bed and sip if I woke up during the night.

You will soon be healed enough to handle the protein.  Give your body time and water.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/1/11 1:02 am
stop worrying about protein - fluids are more important right now. if you haven't already, post your question on the Rny forum, talk to the peeps with a pouch.

experiment with temperatures and different fluids, sip ALL DAY LONG.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/1/11 1:05 am
what color is your urine? the darker it is, the more worried you should be.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active