Kind of an embarrassing problem... Well... Two.

UnlovableLump
on 5/30/11 10:37 am
Well, I'm dreading asking this, to be honest, but it's something I can't ask anyone I really know. I'd be far too embarrassed. 

I'm quite large, and when you reach my size you can actually develop what's almost like a second belly- Panniculus. I'm obviously hoping to lose weight, and thus this problem, but how do you deal with it now?

First off, no matter how much I wa**** never gets rid of that smell. Even if  I scrub under each fold, and get it as clean as possible, there's always atleast some hint of it in the air. It's disgusting and I really want it to stop. There was a man at work that approached me about whether or not I bathe. I'm devastated. I have a rash or something under the panniculus and a few other areas. Looks almost like pimples in some places. I can't wear a sleeveless shirt because people could see my rash under my right arm.

Second, it has become extremely difficult to wipe. I won't go into any more detail than that. I would like some kind pointers for what to do to make this as easy a job as possible.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Janine P.
on 5/30/11 10:46 am - Long Island, NY
For the belly smell issue, I use Gold Bond Extra Strength powder.  I put it on after I shower and it works wonders.  Keeps the area dry and smelling fresh.

For the wiping issues, I have no suggestions.  I'm sorry.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

UnlovableLump
on 5/30/11 10:48 am
Thanks a lot. I will definately give Goldbond a try.
debbie13
on 5/30/11 10:49 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Hunny I feel for you. I get those rashes now. Here's something you can try without going to the doctor. Each and every time you wash use your blow dryer set on low to get those folds really dry. And then hit them with some over the counter antifungal powder or anitfungal cream.  You don't want to go too crazy with the cream or pwoder as that can make it worse. Also wa**** a couple times a day and reapply. Once it looks like it is gone keep doing this at least once a day. Get to your doctor and have him/her look at it. You may need to be on an oral antifungal medication and/or an antibiotic.

As for the other issue, try contacting the occupational therapy department at a local rehabilitation center. They may some ideas they can give you over the phone. Or a medical supply place.

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

Shana16
on 5/30/11 5:04 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I was told to use the spray anitfungal.  I use it under my boobs.  I use A&D Ointment for the leg area.  Works wonders.  Best of luck.
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 11:03 am, edited 5/29/11 11:05 pm
I Googled personal hygiene products and found this website http://www.amplestuff.com . They have some items that might be useful.
Hope that helps!
Crimson
on 5/30/11 11:03 am - MD
for the toileting issue, try a bottom buddy. it is a toilet tissue holder meant for someone who has difficulty with wiping

Kathleen F.
on 5/30/11 11:07 am
The rash might be a yeast infection. Ask your doctor for a prescription for nystatin cream. Avoid using any powder that has corn starch in it. Yeast loves corn starch.
Ladytazz
on 5/30/11 11:10 am
 It sounds like you have a yeast infection or some kind of fungal infection.  Washing a lot only makes it worse.  I would go to the doctor to get the right kind of treatment.  Also, that will  document the issue so that after you lose the weight you can hopefully get the insurance company to pay for a removal.
I have heard of people using salad tongs or a wooden spoon wrapped with toilet paper.
Please don't be embarrassed.  Your problems aren't uncommon to people who have been morbidly obese and there is a lot of help here.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mdolan20
on 5/30/11 11:43 am - Brick, NJ
I often put deoderant in every fold of my body :) 

As for the wiping...
http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/self-wipe-toiletry-aid #clear

I wish I had this after surgery cause man...that was IMPOSSIBLE.

Good luck sweets :)
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Most Active