How is expected weight loss calculated?

cowgirlJane
on 6/1/11 1:14 pm
Just curious how to interpet widely cited "stats" such as losing 70% of excess weight.  Is the target weight they used when they did the studies the mid range of BMI?  For example, i am 5'5" and the BMI range is something like 120-150 pounds for a normal range.   So, do the studies reflect an average of 70% of excess weight loss based on the target weight of 120, 150 or something in between.

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/11 1:51 pm
On June 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM Pacific Time, cowgirlJane wrote:
Just curious how to interpet widely cited "stats" such as losing 70% of excess weight.  Is the target weight they used when they did the studies the mid range of BMI?  For example, i am 5'5" and the BMI range is something like 120-150 pounds for a normal range.   So, do the studies reflect an average of 70% of excess weight loss based on the target weight of 120, 150 or something in between.

Step one: average 120-150 for a goal weight. That's 135.

step 2: calculate excess weight  by taking current weight and subtracting 135.

Step 3: take the result form step two and multiply by 70%

The number you get from step 3 is the number of pounds you can expect to lose AKA your "expected weight loss."

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 8:15 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Does that formula work for me too ?  I did the formula and it puts me at a EWL of 26 lbs ?
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 9:06 am
On June 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM Pacific Time, Pumpkin X . wrote:
Does that formula work for me too ?  I did the formula and it puts me at a EWL of 26 lbs ?
Why not? If you want to be technical about calculating your excess weight, then you need to use the highest number than keeps your bmi  below 25. I averaged the OP's healthy weight range to be more practical.
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 9:18 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I got 25.9

I bet that's gonna take a **** ton of time to get off huh ? I'm serious.
kahlana
on 6/1/11 2:14 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
yehuda thats cool i didn't know that was how they did that.
4catz
on 6/1/11 11:31 pm
That is cool to know.  Thanks.  My surgical group estimated my weight loss percentage according to the average statics of percentage of loss after WLS.  The average is 33%.  That means some will loose more and some will loose less.  After they told me my expected weight loss goal I was like - I didn't have my innards rearranged to still be considered obese!  I have 3 pounds to go to reach their goal and 39 to reach my own.  Now with this information I can figure it out on my own.  Thanks again.

Surgery Weight: 275
MacMadame
on 6/2/11 7:14 am, edited 6/2/11 7:15 am - Northern, CA
Actually, most studies use the weight that corresponds to a BMI 24.9 as the excess weight marker. My surgeon uses a BMI of 24 and I've seen a study where they used a BMI of 27!

That's how people can lose more than 100% of their excess weight -- by getting to a BMI lower than 24.9.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active