supervised diet plans and pre-op diets

bigcoop
on 6/5/11 6:42 am - CA
I have been reading alot about pre-op supervised diet plans and pre-op diets.Was hoping that afew people woud be kind enough to post some examples of  their plan.I am interested to see how they compare to the 1 I was given.......ty
Pupcake !.
on 6/5/11 9:48 am - Stranded in, IA
Wish I could help Coop but I wasn't given one.

Pup
Tammy G.
on 6/5/11 9:57 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
My pre-op diet is high protien (60-70 grams) and low carb (no more than 30 grams).  

Meats-
Chicken, Beef, Pork, Turkey, Fish, EGGS

Vegetables-
Celery, Cucumber, Jicama, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Peppers, Radishes, Asparagus, Avocados, bamboo shoots, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Caulitlower, Okra, Olives, Onions, Sauerkraut, Peas, Spinach, Summer squash, tomato, Turnips, Water chestnuts, and Zucchini.

Fruits-
Lemons, Limes, watermelon, pineapple, cherries, apples, cantaloupe (amount depends on carb count)

Drinks-
Coffee, Tea, Water, Fuze

I am also having one Atkins protein shake a day.  I like the Advantage Dark Chocolate Royale and the Daybreak Strawberry & Banana. 

My nutritionist says my 30 grams of carbs can come from any source I would like.  I have stayed away from all simple carbs and only consumed complex carbs.  
Jackie McGee
on 6/5/11 1:40 pm - PA
I was on liquids for 2 weeks before my surgery - Three Carnation Instant Breakfasts a day mixed with skim or soy milk and a fourth one if I was hungry.
MurphysMom
on 6/5/11 2:25 pm - CA
I was on 2 protein shakes a day, and then protein, like chicken, and veggies for dinner for the 2 weeks before surgery.  Actually 2 days before surgery, it was just shakes.
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/11 2:50 pm - San Jose, CA

ASMBS Position Statement on Preoperative Supervised Weight Loss Requirements
March 23rd, 2011

1. There are no Class I studies or evidence-based reports that document the benefits of, or the need for, a 6 to 12 month pre-operative dietary weight loss program before bariatric surgery. The current evidence supporting preoperative weight loss involves physician-mandated weight loss to improve surgical risk or to evaluate patient adherence. Although many believe there may be benefits to acute preoperative weight loss in the weeks before bariatric surgery, the available Class II-IV data regarding acute weight loss prior to bariatric surgery are indeterminate and provide conflicting results leading to no clear consensus at this time. Preoperative weight loss that is recommended by the surgeon and/or the multi-disciplinary bariatric treatment team due to an individual patient’s needs may have value for the purposes of improving surgical risk or evaluating patient adherence , but is supported only by low-level evidence in the literature at the present time.

2. One effect of mandated preoperative weight management prior to bariatric surgery is attrition of patients from bariatric surgery programs. This barrier to care is likely related to patient inconvenience, frustration, healthcare costs and lost income due to the requirement for repeated physician visits that are not covered by health insurance.

It is the position of the ASMBS that the requirement for documentation of prolonged preoperative diet efforts before health insurance carrier approval of bariatric surgery services is inappropriate, capricious, and counter-productive given the complete absence of a reasonable level of medical evidence to support this practice. Policies such as these that delay, impede or otherwise interfere with life-saving and cost-effective treatment, as have been proven to be true for bariatric surgery to treat morbid obesity, are unacceptable without supporting evidence. Individual surgeons and programs should be free to recommend preoperative weight loss based on the specific needs and cir****tances of the patient.

There is NO medical evidence justifying pre-op diet or weight loss requirements.

And the CA DMHC will make Kaiser waive the requirement.  But please, if you feel like you need to pay penance for your sin of gluttony in order to "earn" the right to have WLS, knock yourself out.

Summary and Recommendations

doggz109
on 6/5/11 3:12 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
And what exactly does your crusade against pre-op diets have to do with what the poster asked?

He wanted examples of what other people are eating on theirs.....not a rant against their purpose or lack thereof.
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/11 4:01 pm - San Jose, CA
I don't give a rat's ass whether the OP or YOU want to be tortured with a worthless and unnecessary pre-op diet, but perhaps someone ELSE opening this thread might want to know these diets are not sanctioned by the ASMBS, and that particularly in California, they can easily be overturned.

Please feel free to block me if you don't like what I post.  But you will be denying me the entertainment of continually getting your goat.
BumpiestStar
on 6/5/11 4:24 pm, edited 6/5/11 4:25 pm - MD

Not jumping on anyone’s soapbox but it might be worth looking into  DianaCox response.
It's a no harm no foul situation.

While I do have to do 6 months supervised weigh-ins (not insurance required, state required wi**** was different but hey it is what it is), I’m not on a supervised diet per se and not required to lose weight during this time, but I’ve increased my protein, veggies and fruits and decreased my carbs and stopped all high caloric drinks. I eat 4-5 smaller portions and I drink water as if I had the surgery already and I take my vitamins (Centrum silver is good enough for me at this time).

I’ve managed to lose some weight not much ~8lbs but I’m not trying either.

I’m sure if you replace 2-3 meals with a protein shake or meal replacement bar you would do a lot better than me. 

Most Active