Protein

MaryKedz
on 6/16/11 5:10 am - Lancaster, NY
I had my surgery a little over two months ago.  Since about the third week, I have pretty much been able to eat anything.  Of course, I can only eat a couple of ounces but I have had really no problem with not tolerating any type of food.

Recently, though, I noticed that even though I am really trying to get enough protein, I seem to be getting really nauseaus from any form of protein.  I have tried many different foods, protein shakes and protein bars.  Almost without fail, I feel sick after eating. 

I have no problem with vegetables, raw or cooked, or with fruit.  I try to stay away from carbs so I am not sure about those.    So I am basically eating fruits and vegetables all day long.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I am a little worried, both about my weight loss slowing down/stopping and about my health, due to falling short on my protein goals. 

Any thoughts?
“...but with God all things are possible."  - Matthew 19:26                        
moving-on
on 6/16/11 5:46 am - Rimrock, AZ
I was about 3 mos out and couldnt tolerate much of anything as well. Have you tried Chili or any type of beans for protein? Cottage cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt. I struggled for awhile in my stomach liking protein and it finally worked it out. A little frustrating. Just keep trying different forms of protein and maybe a different type of protein drink.
Good luck.
Debbie
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/11 5:53 am
You may want to ask the doc to check your liver and GB.  I got like that for a few months. Then ... pain and more pain - and the GB had to go.  It just stopped working.

How about clear protein - like the clear isopure?  That were the only proteins that did not bother my GB. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Chilipepper
on 6/16/11 6:09 am
IMO, you are not eating the foods you should be this early out.  Proteins bars, raw vegetables..these should not be tried this early on.  Just because your on a full diet now..your should still take it slow...beef and nuts are for 6 months post op(and really so is raw veggies)....

For now, go bac to the basics, cottage/ricotta cheese, refried beans, clear jellos, broths...scrambled eggs...your tummy is still very tender and healing.  If going back to the basics doesn't help after a week or so...I would consult your doc. 

Watch out for the the sugars in your protein shakes...some have very high levels of sugar and could be causing you problems..

Hope you feel better...

PSSSS  Do not get dehydrated..you must still get in your 64 oz of water/crystal light/G2 a day....

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 6/16/11 6:11 am
I also wanted to add after I read your post again....veggies and fruits and not what you need to be eating now..your are in a losing phase...they are carbs...you need protein.  Don't fill your pouch with that stuff...you are defeating the puropose of the sugery.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

MsBatt
on 6/16/11 6:28 am
Chili, the OP had the VSG, and therefore the same stomach I have with my DS. I was eating ALL those things at about TWO months out, with my surgeon's blessings. (Well, I wasn't eating/drinking protein shakes, 'cause they SUCK. *grin*)
Chilipepper
on 6/16/11 6:36 am
oops..my bad...I didnt' see that..but I would still think that protein is more important than packing in fruits and veggies... :)  So, I stand behind my advice...lol  It is still early and you may not have had an issue, but she is...so going back to soft proteins won't hurt her, they will help her.  Just cause you had the DS my dear..you still have to focus on protein first...yes?   mwuah!

MsBatt
on 6/16/11 7:22 am
No, I agree that she needs to focus on protein---but that should NOT rule out beef, nuts,  and protein bars. Or raw veggies---cauliflower in cheese dip...yum!
Chilipepper
on 6/16/11 7:31 am
Not pernantly ...but those kinds of foods could be to hard on her now...I said to go back to soft proteins....There is no rush to add that stuff to any of our diets...She will get to bacon cheese dip glory shortly..but now she should take it easy...lol

Phyllis C.
on 6/16/11 6:21 am
Protein drinks make me nauseous anytime.

Are you nauseous on all protein or protein drinks

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Most Active