anybody with rh?

jenbear
on 6/17/11 3:53 am - hagerstown , MD
anybody with rh, what do you eat and does it help your rh?  How can i still exercise and not go low or does it even go low when you exercise?  Not sure about any of this and im scared all the time.  Does anyone have it go low in the middle of the night? help help, im super scared im gonna die!
Kim S.
on 6/17/11 6:43 am - Helena, AL
I have it and keep it completely under control by eating 6-7 small meals per day, very limited simple carbs, lots of protein.  Exercise does not bother me when I eat correctly.

Kim

jenbear
on 6/17/11 12:16 pm - hagerstown , MD
does it ever happen to you in middle of night? 
Kim S.
on 6/20/11 10:29 am - Helena, AL
For me, no--but I've heard of extreme cases where people have experienced it during the night.  Do you have a glucose meter?  If your blood sugar is low when you have symptoms, it could be RH....check with your doctor soon.

debbie13
on 6/17/11 11:29 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Just to clarify - does 'rh' mean reactive hypoglycemia? If so - yes, I have it and the strangest food items cause it to happen. Today it was a low carb protein drink. Never did that before. Exercise does not do it to me at all. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

ohwegoblues
on 6/17/11 12:27 pm - NY
 Yes yes and yes...I have RH as you call it.  I also dump...goes hand in hand with me. It ha**** me in the middle of the night..so I always have a protein shake before bed. I too have to eat several small meals every day ...I eat about every 2 -3 hours...small meals.
  If I wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat I reach for a cheese stick and a few almonds.  However, I have found that if I drink a shake before bed , I don't wake up having RH in the middle of the night.
  Good luck ... strange thing is that one day a food is fine for me and the next day it will trigger dumping, then my sugar goes too low...its a cycle.

Marcy
jenbear
on 6/17/11 12:41 pm - hagerstown , MD
yea dumping for me does the same thing, causes my sugar to go to low.  I have noticed that if i drink protein before bed and at least one during day im much better off.  i cant have caffein at all!  I have to stick to low carb it seems like.  Are you able to keep the weight off?  Are you able to exercise?
ohwegoblues
on 6/17/11 9:20 pm - NY
I am able to exercise but have to eat something before and I ALWAYS Have a protein bar with me.  That and nuts and glucose tablets and cheese.
  I am not supposed to drink caffeine either, but I have an irregular heart rhythm and caffeine throws me into atrial fibrulation.  Rh can be hard...I've listened to 3 different dieticians tell me when to eat and what...finally I went back to what I know :
    I eat meat, salad , fruits, veggies, cheese, nuts and 3 protein shakes every day.  I have regained a little, about 4-5 pounds, but I'm maintaining otherwise.

Hang in there. It gets easier to take care of it..it just never goes away.  My best advice...ALWAYS have food with you ...just in case!
    Marcy
Linda_S
on 6/17/11 2:40 pm - Eugene, OR
I have it pretty badly.  I can exercise without it affecting me all that much, but I can't do extremely vigorous exercise because I have a seriously bad back (three-level spinal fusion two years ago).  My sugar does dip during the night, particularly if I eat any sort of carbs before bed (I DON'T).  Actually, my lowest sugar -- 27 -- was at 2:00 in the morning.

Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 9:30 pm
Whole carbs, when I have them; absolutely no canned fruit (even in juice); being hyper-aware of everything I eat because I never know when this dumb thing will rear it's ugly head.  Never at night, though, thank God!
As for exercise, I wal****il the cows come home, but always have a dairy-based protein before I head out (just enough carb to keep me safe).  Strength-training is harder and I always have a spotter or do it in a group in case I feel light-headed, which almost always happens.  My blood pressure and glucose love to do a downward tango.  I eat something carb-based before that kind of workout, like whole wheat bread or muffin with peanut butter.  Staying hydrated also helps for me.
Most Active