Having to chose - help

glzgowlass
on 6/22/11 10:57 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I am in the middle of going through the requirements for bypass through Tricare insurance.  I think I would rather have the sleeve done, but Tricare doesn't cover it.  People have fought for years but Tricare is holding firm.

I discovered that the sleeve was available at military hospitals.  (hubby is retired navy)  So I can either proceed now and probably get bypass within a couple of months or....get a new referral to the military hospital for sleeve.

I spoke to the hospital and from start to fini**** takes about a year.  I really don't want to wait that long.  I lean toward sleeve becasue it doesnt' include rewiriing your insides - which to be truthful- ilks me out a bit.  Also, I wouldn't have dumping issues or malabsorption issues and the biggest reason is that I'm told that hunger does return with bypass eventually, but not with the sleeve.  I like the idea they remove the part of the stomach with ghrelin in it.

I guess I would like to ask people who have had bypass for more that 18 months how it felt when the hunger came back and how you handled it. 

This isn't a question of which is better because I think both are good options- I'm just trying to figure out which would be best for me.

regards to all
Katari
on 6/22/11 11:06 pm - OR
Truthfully, I'm 21 month's out and still do not feel hunger. I eat when I feed my family, I'll have the snack, but actually feeling like I'm hungry/starved if I forget to eat, still doesn't happen.

That being said, Some people have "head" hunger early out but generally the actual hunger feeling doesn't usually return until after 3 to 6 months, or in my case, Still waiting...

You might also post on the RNY Forum and ask there.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Phyllis C.
on 6/22/11 11:11 pm
Hunger can come back with any surgery.  The big issue is the malabsorption.  It is a permanent thing and will require constant supplements and labs for life.

I chose the sleeve, but I know how hard it is to wait for something you really want.

Best of luck to you.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Judi J.
on 6/22/11 11:16 pm - MN
for me it isn't the hunger, it is the mindless cravings. For the first year, not a problem. After that, back to needing some willpower. I still have restriction but I don't dump and can eat junk till the cows come home

Now that they are learning that Reactive Hypoglycemia is directly related to the formation of the RNY pouch, I'd think long and hard about RNY. I'm fortunate, no problems but if I were you, as much as it sucks to wait, I'd go sleeve.
glzgowlass
on 6/22/11 11:19 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Thanks to all for your experiences.  I think I will post on RNY forum b/c I'd like to canvass as many people and get their different experiences to make a decision.
Elizabeth N.
on 6/23/11 1:06 am - Burlington County, NJ
If I were in your shoes I would do whatever it takes to get the VSG.

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 3:49 am
Hunger can (and does for many) come back with the sleeve, but it's reported to be generally milder than before.. Ghrelin is reduced but not eliminated with the sleeve.. post on both boards so you can get a good amount of responses from those that had the surgeries.. and you may want to ask on the VSG Maintenance board as well. 
Most Active