200 Pounds Lost: Pictures of my Journey this Year

subacloud
on 7/3/11 9:36 am
I celebrated my surgiversary on June 7 this year.  From my pre-op weight (after liquid diet) to that date, I lost 100 pounds.  I had lost about 27 pounds on the liquid diet prior to surgery and I had lost about about 63 pounds prior to that.  As of Friday, I have lost a total of 200 pounds.  It has taken me two years to accomplish that.  

I began this journey in June 2009.  My PCP could not give me any more pain medication for my aching joints.  We had tested for Arthritis, but it came back negative.  He gently indicated that WLS might be a way for me to go.  I have to give him props for broaching such a difficult subject.  He was kind and supportive and I am so grateful for that.  I wrestled with the thought of WLS and what that would mean to my character, because really, shouldn't I be able to do this on my own?

I had breast cancer in 2001.  I got genetic testing and found I had a mutation on the BRCA2 gene, which put me at risk for ovarian cancer, as well as breast cancer.  After I got through my bilateral mastectomies followed by reconstruction followed by a staph infection from hell.... I knew I had to get my ovaries out, eventually.  I was talking to my surgeon about doing that when she said to me, "You know, your weight is putting you at a higher risk for cancer (fat creates estrogen and causes the cancer I'm at risk for) than your genetic predisposition.  Plus, you are not a good candidate for this surgery because of your weight."  That scared the bejebus out of me.  When I told her what my PCP suggested, she called and got me set up for a WLS orientation.  We agreed to postpone the surgery to remove ovaries until I lost weight as I pursued WLS.

That began my journey of WLS.  My BMI was 70 when I started.  I had to lose to a BMI of 60 for my surgeon to schedule surgery.  I white-knuckled my way through most of that.  My PCP helped me with short term meds to get the last 25 pounds or so off.  I was on a C-PAP.  I was in pain.  Everything hurt.  And, I didn't fit in most public places.  I had begun to avoid life because I didn't know if chairs would hold me, if there was enough room for me to get through from one place to another.  I didn't want to be stared at and I had felt like I was being ignored by folks who were polite enough not to. 

I will turn 50 in a month and a half.  I feel like my life is just beginning.  I can't tell you how wonderful and hard this past year has been.  Amazing changes have happened, among them a tremendous weight loss.  I already posted some of this story in my blog.  Everyone's response was so encouraging.  I just want to pass along some hope.  Besides, who doesn't enjoy WLS progression pictures?

Best wishes to everyone on their journey.  Blessings.

Highest weight before       Before               2 months
  WLS                            liquid diet         

3 months                                                           4 months

5 months                                     6 months                    8 months

11 months            Surgiversary

Before considering WLS        After losing some    Now
Highest weight                      some weight but  
                                            prior to liquid 
                                                   diet

Subacloud               408/318/208/135   (HW/SW/CW/GW)

Speak and do not keep silent.   

Samantha.M
on 7/3/11 9:45 am - Germany
 Congrats! You look fantastic!
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
(deactivated member)
on 7/3/11 9:52 am
 AMAZING!  You are amazing!  GOOD for you:)
mrsfrogdr
on 7/3/11 10:10 am
WOW!!!!!!  You are on my hero list!!!!
Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

thebadest
on 7/3/11 10:24 am - Houston, TX
Tears, your story really touched me. May God cover and bless you. You look terrific.

***Getting to Goal Challenge: -13.9/22.7 July 29th surgiversary**
Trina//SW:270/CW:172.7/GW:150

JudiJudi T
on 7/3/11 10:53 am

This surely can be a life changing experience in more ways than one!  Congrats on a job well done - both pre-and-post surgery!  You look fabulous.

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/11 11:06 am
A VERY big congrats! I'm so glad you have accomplished such a great success, and wish you even more success in life!
Jackie McGee
on 7/3/11 11:08 am - PA
Congrats on doing such an amazing job

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

AllieInOntario
on 7/3/11 11:14 am
Awesome!
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

mkbeany
on 7/3/11 11:19 am
Congrats! What a transformation.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Most Active