cost effiecive

kimandjosh
on 7/5/11 10:52 am - oklahoma city, OK
What WLS would be most cost effiecive for a person  who has no other option but self pay.
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 11:05 am
Think about this question and you may revise your original question:

Is it cost-effective to get a surgery that's not right for you and that ultimately may not provide adequate weight loss, leaving you in the same or worse condition?

MsBatt
on 7/5/11 11:22 am
The DS. It's more expensive, but it has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss AND the best stats at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. I chose to pay out of pocket in order to have the DS, even though my insurance would have covered the RNY at no cost to me.

But be aware that ANY form of WLS will require you to take supplements and get regular bloodwork done---and that AIN'T cheap. You need to find out exactly what post-op expenses your insurance WILL cover if they don't cover the original procedure.
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 11:38 am, edited 7/5/11 10:05 pm - CA
Yes, what MsBatt said, whatever your financial situation is you surely want to make sure you can afford the post-op upkeep, after all we did this for health right? This includes vitamins, minerals, protein powders.

Like I just found out the difference between medicare and medicaid by reading here, and am shocked to learn that while RNY seems to be covered by medicaid no vitamins are covered and only oyster shell calcium is filled by state insurance. Medicaid patients are very low income so there might be allot of folks who had surgery and aren't taking the vitamins 7 minerals they need and don't even know it, or maybe not taking them at all because they cannot afford the upkeep.

I do not see how this will benefit their health in a positive way at all.

There really needs to be some insurance reform.

ruggie
on 7/5/11 11:42 am - Sacramento, CA
I strongly encourage you not to make a decision-based on cost-effectiveness.

This is a question of health, and which major surgical technique is right for you and your health conditions, an your ability to comply with the downstream nutritional commandments.

Carefully weigh the options and choose the best surgical technique for you - YOU WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS SURGERY THE REST OF YOYR LIFE, as they say.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

kimandjosh
on 7/5/11 1:39 pm - oklahoma city, OK
Well I don't really know how to go about this. I have pretty good health insurance it just doesn't cover WLS. I'm just tying to find what's right for me that I can afford to pay. Having WLS is a better life to me than not having WLS.
ruggie
on 7/5/11 2:10 pm - Sacramento, CA
No one is telling you not to have WLS, just to make your choice on medical and emotional need rather than a pocketbook-based decision. They are all going to cost you more than you'd like. Imagine paying thousands of dollars for the wrong surgery. Focus on fit, not cost.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

kimandjosh
on 7/5/11 2:41 pm - oklahoma city, OK
I'm not upset at all and I understand that you saying the most effitive might nnot be best. I just need help in unstanding what surgery is right  that I can also afford.

MsBatt
on 7/6/11 12:46 pm, edited 7/6/11 12:47 am
Okay, here are a few basic stats. The LapBand is probably the cheapest, as far as the initial surgery goes---but it's also the least effective, and has a high rate of complications and the need for removal. There are also fills to consider. And your BMI is 47---it seems the tipping-point for success versus failure with the Band is a BMI of 46.

The Sleeve/VSG is probably the next least costly, and it also has the virture of requiring little post-op maintainence, so far as seeing a doctor goes. (Unless you have complications, of course.) But ti WILL require daily vitamins and supplements, and bloodwork at least yearly. We don't really have much long-term info on the Sleeve as a stand-alone WLS---it's only been done as such for about 7 years now. So far, it LOOKS like it's going to have about the same long-term results as the RNY/gastric bypass, but without the potential problems with malabsorption. It also preserves all normal stomach functions.

The RNY/gastric bypass has been around a long time. It's highly effective for some people, less so for others. Some people see a good bit of regain starting about the 2-3 year mark, and we're also seeing an increasing number of people developing reactive hypoglycemia after the RNY. There's some evidence that this is due to the loss of the pylorus.

And then there's the DS/duodenal switch. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that produces a high degree of PERMANENT malabsorption of CALORIES, not just of vitamins and minerals. This seems to be the reason that the DS also has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss AND the resolution or prevention of co-morbs.

The actual price of each of these procedures varies from surgeon to surgeon. A lot of self-pay people go outside the US for surgery, because the prices are generally much lower. BUT CHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. Choose a surgeon based on his reputation, his actual RESULTS, not his price.

Last time I hear, you could go to Brazil, get a DS, and stay in a hospice for two weeks for about $17K.

kimandjosh
on 7/7/11 1:16 pm - oklahoma city, OK
Thank you so much I believe this and talking with a doctor will help me make the right decision for me and my health. Again thank you.
Most Active