Stomach Pains - 4 years out

VA20FAN
on 7/10/11 7:10 am - VA
Help!  I had gastric bypass nearly 4 years ago and had an internal hernia corrected approximately 3 years ago.  The other day, I stopped at Starbucks and got my "normal daily frappucino (spelling)".  I know better, but I drank it with a straw really fast.  I've used straws before but this time, I drank my drink super fast.  Later that morning, I started to have stomach pains to which felt like really bad gas...I took 2 gas-x (which normally helps gas) but this time, they didn't work.  The only way I could get comfortable was to be doubled over or laying on my side balled up...I suffered for the rest of the day and most of the next.  Now 3 days later, I still have little pains that come and go, as well as everything I eat or drink causes lots of painful gas.  I have had to use a suppository to have a bowel movement twice in the last week; should I be concerned?  Has anyone in WLS world ever experienced this type of pain?  I'm afraid it may be something a little more serious than just gas from drinking through a straw really fast.  I called the doctor and the nurse mentioned my acid reflux could have caused some of the issues????Any information that any of you can give would greatly be appreciated. 

Thank you.

Tavia
webinfochick
on 7/10/11 7:37 am - brunswick, GA
Tavia --
I had my surgery about 7 years ago, and right around the 3 -4 year mark I noticed that my lactose intolerance got much worse. In addition, I had something like a hair ball, but it was more of a food ball that had built up in my stomach. The gastrointernist had to go in and break it up. I am not sure why it happened, but at the worst it caused me to go to the emergency room with severe pain and constant vomiting. It may not be the same thing, but it may be worth it to get an endoscopy. Just make sure that it is either done by a baratic surgeon or a gastrointerist experienced with baratric surgery patients.

In addition, I have noticed when I eat certain foods (ie., milk based, spicy, etc.) that I do get burning in my stomach. I take protonix daily, but some days I take a double dose. I also drink some Malox every now and again.

I hope you get this worked out soon.

Take care,
Alicia
Alicia
5'5"
240/133/125

Elizabeth N.
on 7/10/11 9:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
This is a doctor concern, definitely. It might just be gas, but it might also be something really obnoxious. Don't explain it away or delay. Get to your doctor.

JinPA
on 7/11/11 11:03 am - PA
I had this a few weeks ago.  I ate artichokes, which I never eat.  I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was going to die.  I went outside and walked, and decided if nothing changed in the next half hour I'd go to the ER.  It hurt so bad.  Then, I started farting like a one woman band and had several majoy BMs.  Then I was ok, but my stomach still hurt.

I have been to the doc, gotten an endoscopy and a CAT scan with contrast.  I reccomend these tests to rule out a big probem.  Bottom line that we came up with was that certain foods make me gassy as heck and they also inflame my pouch.   Coffee products that I drink daily can make my stomach hurt.  So, I start every day off with a few tums, carry Carafate with me, and that solved the problem. 
Polly Wog
on 7/12/11 11:50 pm - Canada
Gall Bladder maybe?????
 HW   321
SW    295
CW    175.2
GW    130-135
JinPA
on 7/13/11 6:58 am - PA
Nope.  Had my gall bladder out two years ago.
Most Active