Sleeve vs. Plication? OCC clinic?

Pkrplyr777
on 7/8/11 11:40 pm - CT
I need to decide whether to get the plication or the sleeve surgery.
My husband and I are scheduled for Aug 1st, in Tijuana at the Obesity Control Center.

I could use some feedback to make this decision and any feedback on the OCC with Dr. Ortiz and Dr,. Martinez would really be appreciated.
Donna
Julie6
on 7/9/11 12:34 am
Ok, I'll give you my 2 cents.  I had the plication in Mx last July at Hospital angles by Dr. Corvala.  He is a pioneer for the plication.  I think I was like number 50 that had it done.  I have been very happy with my weight loss.  65 down with 18 to go.  I don't know how this compares to the sleeve.  Recuperation time was quick.  Back to work in 1 week. (could have started sooner)  I have felt great since.  However, if I could do it over I would get the sleeve.  The reason is there isn't a lot of data for the plication.  It hasn't been around that long and they don't know what the long term effects are.  I think about the fold in my stomach and wonder what could happen down the line.  What if food gets stuck in the fold and bacteria starts.  It has been an entire year now and have had absolutely no problems.  I can eat anything I want. Nothing bothers me.  At first you have to be careful.  A few days out I tried toe at a hard boiled egg.  Ick.  It got stuck and I felt sick.  I ate solid food too soon. 
Anyway, do your research and decide what is best for you.  Either way you will lose weight.
Julie Sadek    
Pkrplyr777
on 7/9/11 12:46 am - CT
Thanks, You are the first person to reply that has had this done. I have the same reservations, but it IS less invasive.

I understand it's been done for about 5 years now, but with little feedback.

I am hoping to find someone who's had it longer that 3 years. But it looks like that might be far fetched idea.

Thanks for your intput.
Donna
Elizabeth N.
on 7/9/11 12:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
LESS INVASIVE? You have GOT to be kidding me.

Amy R.
on 7/9/11 2:26 pm
yeah, you know E.  less invasive - just like the lap band....
Elizabeth N.
on 7/10/11 1:31 am - Burlington County, NJ
*sigh* Yeah, let's pleat the stomach and sew it together and assume nothing changes. Yeah, that's less invasive than removing the stomach you do not need and having one staple line. Uh huh. SMDH

Julie6
on 7/9/11 1:02 am
I've been trying to find where it says how long the surgery has been going on for.  Do you have a website or any idea how I can find out that info? 
Julie Sadek    
MacMadame
on 7/10/11 2:29 pm - Northern, CA
I'm sorry but it's NOT less invasive. They pleat off your stomach and that tissue scars and can even die off. If it dies off, you will have major, possibly life-threatening complications. If you don't get necrosis, the scar tissue that forms will make it unlikely you will be able to have any other form of surgery, if this one doesn't work out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/11 1:52 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Do you know if the stomach portion that is not being used in the plication can eventually atrophy ?
Elizabeth N.
on 7/9/11 12:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
The sleeve has a growing quite good track record. The plication is brand new. I don't see where there's any need to dither. I know which one I'd do.

Also, do you sew? I do. I have made pleated clothing and drapes. I see what happens to pleats. They do not wear well. I cannot imagine this being any different with stomach tissue, which is an awful lot more fragile than suit wool or drapery fabric.

Furthermore, I do not see anything good to be gained by deliberately turning one's stomach into a mass of scar tissue. Scar tissue on organs can be purely evil.

Most Active