Anyone know anyone who had their colon removed post WLS I need help!

stargazerdiana
on 7/23/11 10:41 am
I had my large colon removed on June 7th and I am down to 105 pounds. I have had to increase my RNY vitamin intake as food does not take more than 3 hours to go through my small intestine. I am going 20-30 times a day and the water I drink goes straight to my small intestine. My colon surgeon said it will take longer for my system to return to normal since I had WLS. I am thankful the WLS came first or I would not have been able to get it after the colon removal. I am sure I made it thru the colon removal and healed as fast as I did other than my going problem because of my weight loss.

I am only 5 ft 1 inch and I can't find many clothes in X-Small so I have resorted to girls clothing. I started back with my exercises program 3 1/2 weeks after the surgery. I am riding my bike, hiking, walking, doing aerobics, weight lifting and any thing else I can do. I have worked out 40 hours this month.

I cannot eat until my workouts so I workout at 7 am and I cannot eat or drink after 5 or I am up all night in the bathroom.

Everything is great except I don't need to loose anymore weight and the diets for the RNY and the Colon removal are at total opposites with each other. I dump on more than 3 grams of fat or sugar and also dump with high glycemic starches. Since the colon removal I am back at square one and can only eat 2 to 4 ounces of food depending on the density.

I had to switch to all chewable supplements because pill and capsules are not being digested. I am worried about mal-nutrition. My WLS tested my vitamin and other levels before my colon was removed and I was already low in some areas and am still have blood sugar issues both high and low.

If anyone can connect me with someone that has been through both surgeries it would be of great support.  I know this is a long post and I appreciate your patience letting me relay all this information.

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 11:07 am
 Hi, 
I have not had those surgeries but my granddaughter had her colon removed due to Ulcerative Colitis. And I do know what she went through and is still going through and the diet she is on. 

I'm wondering do you have a Ileostomy or did the construct a j-pouch? 

I don't see how you could get enough protein, vitamins and/or minerals being that everything is going through so fast.

You really should check into having your pouch turned back into stomach, you can always get it made into the sleeve.

At least then you hopfully won't have the hypoglycemia anymore. 

I hope you find a way to solve your problems.

MurphysMom
on 7/23/11 11:25 am - CA
Wow, you are going through a lot!!  I don't know anything about your surgeries, but I wanted to wish you well.  Good luck, and I hope you find the answers you need.
Kathy
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
steff1970
on 7/24/11 12:54 am - cambridge , Canada
RNY on 07/09/12
Hello there my name is Stephanie and i wanted to wish you luck on finding a way to manage what you're going through.  I'm sorry i don't have any answers for your troubles as i am still pre-op however i too had part of my colon removed back in january 2010 and i currently have a colostomy bag.  I am hoping to have my surgery early next year and from what i've been learning on these boards it will probably be a VSG which is ok with me. Once i have my surgery and lose the weight my surgeon will reverse my colostomy which will also be wonderful even though i do love my bag.  All the best to you on your journey.

Stephanie

REFFERAL.....APRIL 2010    ORIENTATION.....JULY 14, 2011       SURGERY.....JULY 9, 2012                            

Most Active