XPost: Why I Share my WLS Story

johnbertak
on 8/8/11 1:31 am - MD
I know we're all different in terms of relationships and how much of our lives we want to share with the world - however - if you're on this forum then you are "one of us," that is, someone who has or is considering WLS, so we all share that resolve.  I urge "newbies" or those who are considering WLS to share their experience with the world - to use honesty to create a support system that can share your victories and provide extra incentive for you as well.  My neighbors, golf buddies, and most importantly, my family, have helped me do this and we all are benefiting from it.
See, I'm a huge advocate for bringing WLS out of the darkness - every day people are dieing from obesity-related problems like heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure...the list goes on and on. 
Well, I HAD ALL OF THOSE co-morbidity's less than a year ago.  My WLS surgery not only has made it possible for me to lose a ton of weight - it has helped me get rid of all those other problems.  I no longer take insulin shots or ANY Rx drugs of any kind.  My only non-vitamin pill these days is a single low-dose aspirin daily, per my cardiologist.  
"Easy" or "Lazy"?  Are you kidding.  There's nothing easy about major surgery and you can't be lazy and expect major weight reduction.
I told everyone who loves me about my decision to have surgery because I valued their opinions pre-op, and I wanted them on my support-team post-op.  They all know that it is not the easy or lazy way - they see the weight coming off, but they also see me - now walking 5 miles daily in my hilly neighborhood or walking 7+ miles on the golf course. 
I'VE LOST NEARLY 160 LBS. IN LESS THAN 9 MOS. POST-OP and I've worked exceedingly hard to do it.  Yes, my restriction, "sleevie," is a major asset in this campaign, but so is perseverance and discipline, determination AND SUPPORT. 
The more we openly share our stories, the more truth about WLS gets out in the world, the greater the opportunity for more lives to be improved and or saved.  At least that's what this 65-year-old loser believes.  Your thoughts on this?
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

Kahwren
on 8/8/11 6:57 am - MI
 Thanks Pop-Pop! I too informed my selected friends and family at the very beginning of my WLS journey. I knew I would need support afterwards and for the rest of my life! There are people who approach me and ask me how I am feeling. I do not feel as though I  always need to share details except that I am Well, lighter weight, diabetes 75% gone, minus one blood pressure pill, all in the short time of 7 weeks. If they ask how, I share my story, then explain theWLS that has given me a tool to work with for a healthier living. Sometimes I feel as though I am on display, plate watchers lurk! But over all if honestly asked, I will share. Yes it is hard work, a re-vamping of old habits and ways of thinking, re-acting to stress, extreme happiness, and boredom. etc. Kahwren
happypeach
on 8/8/11 11:08 am - Rome, GA
Yes, isn't WLS the greatest?  What a miracle surgery this is! I, too have been very successful with my RNY and thank God each and every day for having had this opportunity to regain my health! I was on 3 blood pressure pills, a daily insulin shot, 60 mg. prozac, high doses of nsaids twice a day for joint pain, c-pap for sleep apnea, and high choleterol medicine.  I am now 172 lbs down and med-free with the exception of 20  mgs of prozac daily.  WOW O WOW O WOW!!  That in itself is a true miracle!!! There is absolutely NO COMPARISON in how I feel today vs. how I felt pre-op.

Shout it from the rooftops .... you might help save someone else's life!!!!

Starting:  370, Current: 198.5, Goal: 190

MARIA F.
on 8/8/11 11:43 am - Athens, GA

Congrats on all the weight lost! I am very open about my surgery as well. I feel that we all should be, because it could start a conversations with someone and may lead to them having WLS as a result.

FormerlyFluffy.com

volleyballgirl
on 8/8/11 10:28 pm - Germantown, MD
I decided to opt for full disclosure too and it was a very good decision.  My mother stayed with me at my house for an entire week after my surgery, waiting on me, walking my dogs, and helping in every way I needed.  I had three co-workers do the pre-op liquid diet with me (just breakfast and lunch, but still)!  There was never a shortage of visitors, walking buddies, flower deliveries, notes, and well wishes when I came home.  This whole process has reminded me how blessed I am to have such amazing friends and family in my life.  Sure, I received some off comments and concerns but this was my decision.  Now I can only show them why it was the best I ever made!
-K
AppleSpice251
on 8/12/11 6:30 am
*LIKE*
Most Active