Milk for protein drinks?

mtnwoman04
on 8/13/11 8:16 am - Blairsville, GA
Would someone tell me what kind of milk is best to make our protein shakes, I have been using soy but someone told me that is not good so I wanted some advice.
Thank You
Patsy
MissStaci
on 8/13/11 9:22 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Hi Patsy,

Maybe someone else knows but I've never heard that soy milk is a problem. I use it occasionally for some flavors of protein. Did they tell you why soy wasn't a good choice?

Most people I know use non-fat or skim (I avoid milk as it upsets my stomach sometimes). I just use cold water.

Good luck!
Staci

"Life is not easy for everyone. But life can be beautiful even when it is not so easy."
 Olga Bowman, "Four Seasons Lodge"

mtnwoman04
on 8/13/11 9:39 am - Blairsville, GA
Hi thanks for your reply, no I was told that it can cause you to gain belly fat, but I use the 60cal so I am like you and think it is ok I will try water have not done that but am also thinking skim milk and heart healthy I have heard is good as well.
Thanks again Patsy
LoraLeeME
on 8/13/11 11:10 am
Never heard that about soy milk before. I use non-fat milk, SF almond milk and SF soy milk depending on what looks good and what's at the store. I also buy some ready to drink protein drinks EAS Myoplex 45, 25 and 15 grams of protein in vanilla or chocolate flavors.

PatXYZ
on 8/13/11 12:55 pm
As long as you're using unsweetened soy, it is probably ok, but regular soy is really, really high in carbs. Unsweetened almond milk is delicious and has lots of protein, I use it.
ladyquenn
on 8/13/11 1:19 pm - WV
All the almond milk I have found is only 1 gram pf protein per 8oz, that is why I don't use it., not worth the calories to me. Where do you find high protein almond milk, I love the taste.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
PatXYZ
on 8/13/11 2:07 pm
I just checked my almond milk, it is actually only 2g protein, I thought it had more. It's only 40 cals though, so the calories shouldn't be an issue, much lower than regular or soy and only 1 net carb.
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/13/11 1:03 pm - Belleville, IL
Are you lactose intolerant?? Why can't you use SKIM MILK? Or FAT FREE MILK??? That's what I use. Plain Soy Milk is fine...It will not cause you to "gain belly fat" (Whomever told you that is an idiot). Unless of course you are drinking gallons upon gallons a day...Are you?

Now, some people are ALLERGIC to Soy in which case you can get bloating, cramps and tons of farts...But no belly fat.

You DO realize that most protein shakes do NOT require MILK to be use to make them, right? Since they already contain Whey Protein Isolate.

Use water if you want.

Warmly,
Jackie

Adrienne J.
on 8/13/11 1:19 pm - GA
I have always used skim milk for mine.
mtnwoman04
on 8/13/11 1:31 pm - Blairsville, GA
Thanks to everyone who answered I apperciate the tips and will give them a try good luck to you all on your journey as well
God Bless
Patsy
Most Active