Question about numbness in toes...

kabond
on 8/17/11 11:33 pm
 I had surgery on August 2 and about a week and a half after the surgery both my pinkie toe and the toe next to it on both feet started to feel numb. My right foot has gotten better but my left still bothers me, especially when I try to fall asleep. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what did you do about it? Thank so much.

jenysez1
on 8/17/11 11:37 pm - LA
I am curious what people tell you.  I had surgery exactly a week ago today and my top of my thigh is like numb feeling, since surgery.   Not totally numb but like its falling asleep.  Jenny

Emily F.
on 8/18/11 10:14 am
Neuropathy? could be related to the surgery or labs? Did you get pre op lab work?
kabond
on 8/18/11 10:49 am
 Yeah I got the pre op lab work done the day before surgery since I live so far away from the hospital that the surgery was performed at. I contacted one of the nurses yesterday and she told me that it shouldn't be related to the surgery and to go see my regular doctor if it continues. I started to wear different shoes thinking that might help and it seems to be helping a little so I'm going to continue doing that. Thanks so much for the help.
AllieInOntario
on 8/18/11 12:29 pm
My hips felt numb for about 5 weeks after surg.  I couldn't sleep on my back, so I would end up on my side while asleep.  It goes away once you heal.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

rbb825
on 8/18/11 5:24 pm - Suffern, NY
You are really new after surgery and shouldnt' be that deficienct yet unless you were deficient preop and you don't know it.  Usually numbness or tingling in the extremeties, especially the toes could be B12 or B1 deficiency, B6 toxicity or related to copper - not sure it is too much or too little.

Are you taking B12 and B1?  You should be taking both of these from day 1 - atleast 1000mcg of B1 daily - sublingual and 100mg of vitamin daily.  If you are taking a B complex - stop it.  You don't need any of the extra B vitamins except the B1 and B12, so if you take the above 2, you will be fine for those and by taking a B complex, almost everyone ends up with too much B6.

I would ask your PCP to run those 4 levels just to make sure.

southernlady5464
on 8/18/11 8:23 pm
It could be neuropathy and the first place to check is your lab values, esp the B's. Too liitle B12 can cause it so can too MUCH B6.

Could be related to surgery but that one is a real stretch.

You could also have idopathic neuropathy (no known cause) totally unrelated to anything, it just happens. My husband has the idopathic version and I have diabetic neuropathy. There are at last count, over 700 types of neuropathy, the three main ones, diabetic, alcoholic, and idopathic.

Best place for information on neuropathy is the Neuropathy Association

And welcome to the loser's bench.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active