Charlie Horses? Anyone else after having lost so much weight

luanne711
on 9/4/11 2:19 am - Bradford, PA
 "I hadn't "suffered" from Charlie Horses in a long time, but seems like they have happened more lately than I'm used to. Does anyone use potassium supplements? I take all of my prescribed vitamins etc."
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 2:57 am
OTC potassium is practically worthless.  You need to have your labs done and if you are low have your Dr. give you an Rx.  Also potassium is something you don't really want to mess with on your own.  To high and you can have life-threatening problems, to low and you can have the same thing.

Low magnesium can also cause muscle spasms and magnesium citrate is the best for those, you will find that most magnesium is magnesium oxide which is great for constipation but not so much for muscles.

Dehydration can cause muscle spasms also. 

HTH,
Michele
luanne711
on 9/4/11 3:49 am - Bradford, PA
very interesting Michele - thank you for the feedback.  I'll call the Dr.s ofc.  The dehydration thing is interesting as I don't drink nearly as much water as I should.  Thank you.
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
AnneGG
on 9/4/11 3:29 am
I have been having a hell of a time with them. Thanks, m h, for your info. I have been drinking lots and doing some potassium, but I will add some mag citrate.

I also have been doing stretches before bed, which has helped a lot.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Elizabeth N.
on 9/4/11 4:02 am, edited 1/3/12 8:19 am - Burlington County, NJ

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 5:06 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I used to get cramps in my feet and lower legs in the middle of the night; I would eat a banana and take my calcium citrate pills and in about 15 to 20 minutes they would be gone.

Good luck!
luanne711
on 9/4/11 6:05 am - Bradford, PA
:)   I've been told that bananas are the miracle cure  :-)   I do take 2 of those horse pills every day, so I should be good w/those (plus D or D3??)  something like that.

Luanne

is 150.00.                   
AllieInOntario
on 9/4/11 6:48 am
Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium. 
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Bettisima
on 9/4/11 7:01 am
I have also found that it's not about the amount of water you drink in a day, but making sure you are getting enough for bed. I sometimes struggle with drinking after dinner and those nights my cramps are the worst.

Apricots are high in potassium and what my Nut recommended. She also stated she prefers a target on foods for potassium, unless it's really low and it requires very close monitoring.
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 2:40 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I definitely agree about food related sources of potassium, and I love apricots, but usually a
banana is a lot easier to find! 

Good luck!
Most Active