Help! My Body Looked Better When I Was Fat!

Liz J.
on 10/3/11 10:16 pm - Woonsocket, RI
stole this from seatledeb on the rny post.
http://therumpus.net/2011/09/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-86-tiny-revolutions/
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 10/3/11 10:31 pm
 Liz - thanks for posting that, I am liking it

hot link

therumpus.net/2011/09/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-86 -tiny-revolutions/

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Elizabeth N.
on 10/3/11 10:17 pm, edited 1/2/12 11:52 pm - Burlington County, NJ

So Blessed!
on 10/4/11 5:09 am
On October 4, 2011 at 5:17 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:

You're kidding yourself. Your fat body did NOT look better than you look now. Trust me on this.

If you are not yet in therapy, it's time to start. You need to change your thought processes, and since you are already engaging in self-sabotage, it's likely you are not going to be able to get across this hurdle without help.

Certain parts of my body did look better when I was fat, most notably the girls.  My skin was smooth and facial features were also softer and more youthful looking.  BUT, I also had ginormous fat rolls, a double chin and a black neck from my blood sugar being out of whack.

I traded one set of imperfections for another.  It's OK though.

Your suggestion for counseling for dealing with the self sabotage is a good one.

RHCP
on 10/4/11 1:24 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
The main reason I did this was for health.

But I must admit my arms have really been bothering me-I used to love wearing tanks and short sleeves- but not so much any more. I look much better covered up. But I regret nothing and LOVE my new body! And I am SOO looking forward to losing the last 50lbs.

Melinda A.
on 10/4/11 2:54 am - Annandale, VA
I sometimes feel the exact same way!  In fact, I had a different surgery a couple of weeks ago and when I told one of the doctors that I had RNY, he didn't believe me!!  LOL -- He said "Oh no you didnt! What in the world did you do with all of your extra skin?  No way you lost 170lbs!"  I get that reaction from most new healthcare providers.  I pull at the wrinkles and shake the loose skin and say "it's right here" -- they just say -- honey, everyone looks like that. (and trust me, I look like a shapei with pancake boobies)

My point is that we focus on the flaws FAR more than anyone else does.  Of course we are justified in feeling like we look all baggy -- but we should realize that we look WAY better now than we did before surgery and are healthier.  Trust me, all of your hard work is paying off -- get into therapy and don't let anyone in your pants who doesn't deserve to be there.... anyone worth a spin in the sack will "worship" the flaws

GodisGood
on 10/4/11 9:59 am - Perth Amboy, NJ
im 4yrs out started at 406, now im at 140.... i have saggy skin everywhere... arms, thighs, legs and stomach.... ive learned to accept it for now, until i go through with the other surgeries.... until then i use a lot of spanx, and 3/4 sleeve shirts.. i hide it well you'd never notice...

i rather be this way then 406 anyday, its only temporary anyway.... uve come a long way lost alot of weight, dont be so hard on yourself...
Cheryl G.
on 10/4/11 10:24 am, edited 10/3/11 10:25 pm - Davenport, IA
Hi y'all!

I wasn't in a really great place when I posted this topic but after reading some of the initial responses my mood was really uplifted!

I really appreciate all of your kind, and understanding words of encouragement and your much needed support! Only here at Obesity Help do folks truly understand what it means to face issues like dealing with loose skin and stretchmarks.

I can honestly say that I love and am comfortable with who I am on the inside. Now I just need to work on being comfortable with what I see on the outside. Guess I have more to work on in therapy! At least now I know that from this point on, I will stop subconsciously derailing my efforts at staying on my diet and exercise program over this issue! I'm also going to check into ways in which to creatively finance getting plastics. I will remember to stay focused on the positive and give myself credit for how far I've come! Thank God I finally decided to have wls! I wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't! I'm healthier and happier than I ever thought I would be! And I've just got to believe that there is a special, certain someone out there who will love and accept me for who I am - loose skin, stretchmarks and all!!! LOL!!!

Blessings
Cheryl G.

AnneGG
on 10/5/11 12:53 am
I'm sure there is going to be someone special for you! You sound like such a love...

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Cheryl G.
on 10/15/11 7:02 am - Davenport, IA
Thanks AnneGG!  You are too kind!

Be Blessed,
Cheryl G.

Most Active