Fainting

Talk2me
on 10/18/11 2:10 pm - CA
RNY on 11/10/10 with
Has anyone had an experience in fainting?  I have never fainted in my life, but I almost passed out today.  I came home (8 hours later) and my blood sugar is normal and my blood pressure was at 102/65.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Deb Breneman
on 10/18/11 2:35 pm - Newburgh, IN
 I actually fainted a week ago and felt dizzy again last weekend.  I do have bronchitis (or I had it, I finished my zpack).  The dr said it could have been from fluid behind my ears.  Not sure if you have any issues like that.  Btw, my blood pressure is about the same as yours normally now.
Deb Breneman
HW: 250      SW: 240    RNY 1/25/2010       CW: 119 (22lbs below goal)
Message me to join our confidential FB group Deborah Marks Breneman and put WLS Support and I'll add you to the group.  Group is "secret" so members and posts are private.  [email protected] 

Find out details about upcoming WLS Buddy Cruises at
http://www.facebook.com/LifeCandyTravel  

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/11 2:37 pm, edited 10/18/11 2:38 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Not enough info--when did it happen?  Were you just standing up from sitting or laying down?
If so, that is orthostatic hypotension, which occurs from a lack of blood flow to the brain. My
son used to have that problem upon first rising in the morning.  The only thing you can do is
to sit up slowly, take a couple of deep breaths, clench your abdominal muscles (like you're
trying to go poo), hold your breath, and then slowly stand up.

This helps to keep the blood in your upper half and slows it's drop into your extremities.

This is what jet pilots do to keep themselves from passing out as they do fast movements up.
(Imagine what would happen in the days before pressure suits!!)

Good luck. 
Talk2me
on 10/18/11 4:30 pm - CA
RNY on 11/10/10 with
I was just standing up looking at stuff at a craft store....weirest thing...  I did feel much better after I ate, but I broke  out in a sweat and started shaking...

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 2:02 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Wow--that sounds like very low blood glucose--had you gone for a long time without eating?

I sure hope you're able to find the cause.

Best wishes,
Dave Chambers
on 10/18/11 2:52 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I had severe dizzy spells and fainted 3 times after my RNY, starting around 7-8 months post op.  I then began consults and testing with my PCP. 2 Holter Monitor tests and one Event Monitor test and no definitive results. Back on bp med, other tests with no diagnosis.  Finally I got a referral to a cardiologist.  One more Holter Monitor test evaluate by the cardiologist and i had a diagnosis.  I had an intermittent issue. I would have brief periods of elevated bp and then return to my normal lower bp rate, which is considered low by most people.  I also had a pulse rate documented at 45 and 37 when I was had the Holter and Event Monitor testing gear set up.  The cadio doc said my bp would dip too low (lower than my normal low) and that was when I had the dizziness or fainted.  A pacemaker was my resolution, with surgery 4 days later.  The Holter Monitor and Event Monitor tests track your bp rates over a period of time, and this is when my issue was detected, once properly evaluated.  Unless you have vitamin issues way out of whack, or you drink too little water, this is likely your issue.  Ask your doctor about one of these tests.  The Holter Monitor test is 24 hours or less in duration. Wires are taped to your head and you "journal" any times when you detect your fainting issues.  With the Event Monitor Test, this does the same thing over several days. With my Event Monitor, I was instructed to call a phone number when I had an issue, and they could monitor my issue with signals sent to their office from my attached Event Monitor unit.  For brief issues like I had, these tests were virtually the only way to detect what was happening. The other option was hospitalization, where you could be monitored. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Nancy B.
on 10/18/11 9:07 pm
This happened to me once when I didn't drink enough water. It also happened when my hemoglobin was very low.
AnneGG
on 10/19/11 12:14 am
Happens to me when I stand up from lying down too fast- I run a low BP normally. Also can happen when my blood sugar gets low.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Talk2me
on 10/19/11 12:26 pm - CA
RNY on 11/10/10 with
I was standing up shopping... I had eaten.  Today I got the shakes for no reason.... I don't know what my body is doing.  It goes away after about 30 minutes.  I am trying to up my salt and fluids.  I know the doctor will think I am crazy.

Most Active