For those of you who have had a Central line

Sheree_L
on 10/25/11 9:02 am - AR
 Please tell me your experances. I have one in and my husband and I need to know what to expect from it. We have not read very good things about it, yet the DR and the nurses have all prased about it. 
Proud Coastie Wife and Momma of a beautiful almost 2 year old daughter.  
Not only am I doing this for MYSELF but I am doing it for them also. I love you guys!

HW: 288 (303 pregnant)  SW: 268  CW: 196 GW: 160 -170 
KellyJTn
on 10/25/11 9:10 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I had a central line put in while in the hospital for dehydration a month out from surgery. They put it in because they could not find a vein for a picc line to be placed and they needed to get TPN in me quickly. It was only in a couple of days and they retried the picc and got it in and switched the TPN to that line. It was extremely uncomfortable for me. The Dr said I could not be sent home with a central line, only a picc, so they took it out.  Did your Dr send you home with one? If it is anything like the picc, I had a nurse come by once a week and change the dressing for me. I was responsible for flushing the line a few times a day, and changing my TPN bag myself. It took a few days of learning, but I eventually got the hang of it. I was on the TPN for a month at home.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

trafficdonna
on 10/25/11 11:34 pm
I had one put into my neck after my gastric bypass (veins kept collapsing).  I was in the hosptial for ten days and they took it out before I came home.  Nurses didn't really do much except change the dressing. 

Like any IV line, I think it might need flushing to keep it open and blood from clotting at opening.  Sterile dressings.  But they should not let you go home with it, I don't think, if this was a temporary measure for a particular issue in the hospital.
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
Elizabeth N.
on 10/26/11 12:35 am, edited 1/1/12 9:47 pm - Burlington County, NJ

Sheree_L
on 10/28/11 11:43 am - AR
 Thank you for your replys. I work up with a central line after surgery. It was a scary thing, since no one said it could or would happen. I had never even heard of it. They took it out as soon as the Dr said I could go home. I was very thankful for that! 

Thanks again for the replys.
Proud Coastie Wife and Momma of a beautiful almost 2 year old daughter.  
Not only am I doing this for MYSELF but I am doing it for them also. I love you guys!

HW: 288 (303 pregnant)  SW: 268  CW: 196 GW: 160 -170 
Most Active