Please think twice before RNY

Donut22kids
on 11/15/11 10:37 pm - Jeffersonton, VA
I am also almost 6 yrs. post op, and have had an ulcer at the openning of the puoch.
I am scheduled on Dec. 12 for an endoscope to see what is happening.
Wow, that is all very scary stuff.
Donut
Dawn
on 11/17/11 2:40 am - Salem, IL
Don't worry about just one ulcer. They are treatable. I have had three bleeding ulcers this year. I have had to get 6 units of blood. I almost died the first time cause I didn't realize what was happening. I could barely stand up. The nurse at my work called me an ambulance. If he hadn't, I would have just gone home and gone to bed. I thought I had the flu.

Nic M
on 11/17/11 2:59 am
I'm glad you lived through this. But I'm so sorry that you're experiencing it.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

littleskie
on 11/15/11 10:57 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I'm sorry you are going thru this and I hope it gets better for you. Everyone should know all the ins and outs of any surgery they get. You have to decide if you are willing to pay the cost, and it's not usually easy. Nothing easy is worth doing tho. I would not survive eight years without my RNY. So if thats all I got then it would still be a bonus for me.

I hope you heal quickly and easily!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

mini_me_ now
on 11/15/11 11:06 am

Im sorry that you are going through this, part of my research before having my sleeve, was to read up on gasterectomy and partial gasterectomy...

What made my deciision, was that people can and do survive without a stomach, the instestine they connect to the esophogus eventually becomes a storage place for food... there are quite a few forums online for you to get advice from and ask questions from if you need to, as im sure its a really scary process your going through right now.. but i wish you the best of luck and hope you keep us posted on your progress..
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Rae_2011
on 11/15/11 11:28 am
Oh my. That is a scary thought. I'm sure you'll pull through fine--you'll maybe just need to adjust to yet another "new normal." Best of luck to you.

As someone making the decision whether to have Sleeve, RNY, or no surgery at all, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the instance of ulcers, especially these "marginal ulcers" areless common with the Sleeve (I believe I read it occurs in aprox. 2% of RNY)?  Does anyone know why ulcers are more of a danger with RNY (I read that it is more of a problem with RNY and that's why RNYers cant take NSAIDS)? 
JudiJudi T
on 11/15/11 2:20 pm
the danger with the RNY is that the blind stomach can get ulcers and that can't be seen by a scope anymore as it is stapled off.  With the sleeve and DS that part is removed and tossed out.  So that's why RNYers can't take NSAIDS ..

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Elizabeth N.
on 11/15/11 9:50 pm, edited 12/31/11 7:30 am - Burlington County, NJ

Dawn
on 11/15/11 10:30 pm - Salem, IL
A lot of us take some form of acid reducer and NAISD don't work well with that .

MsBatt
on 11/15/11 6:38 pm
Having WLS of ANY kind is very serious. That's one reason we say over on the DS board "Think twice, cut once."

This is NOT  'DS only' advice. ANY surgery, WLS or not, can KILL you. And it can kill you on the table, or it can kill you many years later.

WLS ain't for sissies.
Most Active