Low blood sugar - should I worry?

Irish_Girl_11
on 11/25/11 8:21 am - Chicago Suburbs, IL
I am 16 months out from RNY, was not diabetic pre-surgery, and have had completely normal glucose levels on all of my labs so far. Immediately after eating Thanksgiving dinner last night, I had my dad test my blood sugar (he's type 1 and always has his meter with him) because I've been really thirsty lately and using the bathroom a lot, and wondered if I might test high. Turns out I was at 59. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have an appointment with my surgeon next month, but I'm wondering if I should move it up.
phred
on 11/25/11 8:50 am - CO
You may want to google "reactive hypoglycemia".

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

jerseyjuji
on 11/25/11 9:07 am
 What you should be "worrying" about is making sure that you become very familiar with the symptoms YOU have when your blood sugar drops, and that you always be prepared with some kind of carb/protein combo food...like cheese and crackers, or peanut butter and crackers, or a protein bar for when you begin to experience them.  Many post ops (rny, I can't speak to the other surgery types) experience low blood sugar episodes and reactive hypogycemia....dangerous situations if you have no awareness about them. For ME, I do not experience thirst or having to use the bathroom as part of my hypoglycemia...I don't know if that is a common thing or not.  What does happen to me is I become very fog-headed, my lips and tongue kind of feel numb, I feel a little spacey and dizzy, and -- when it really gets bad -- my speech becomes slurred and I get very anxious.  These things I experienced before I knew what was happening...my lowest that I ever tested was at 38, very dangerous.  Because I have learned how to eat to keep these symptoms away (for ME), which is every 2-3 hrs, and because I am now aware of what an "episode" feels like for ME, it really is not a huge issue for me any longer.  Just know, it can happen anytime, from eating almost anything, and it is kind of random...just be prepared.. And, of course, bring it up when you see your doctor (although mine told me it was common,,to eat very good quality foods--proteins, complex carbs--every 2-3 hrs and to always be prepared) but know he probably won't do anything about it.  I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done about it, besides sticking to a timed eating plan.  Good Luck!
Linda_S
on 11/25/11 9:17 am - Eugene, OR
Do talk to your doctor about it.  They will probably have you get a meter and keep track of your sugars both before and after eating to determine what is going on with you.  I have a severe RH problem now.  I cannot eat refined carbs.  My carbs are vegetables with a few fruits.  My lowest sugar was 23 and my doctor was amazed that I was still conscious.  Apparently, when it drops really low, it can lead to seizures, coma, and death.  Lord knows I don't want that to happen.  I've got medication that I can take to slow down carb digestion, but it gives me such severe gas that I find it's not even worth it.  I've gotten to the point where I am generally not even tempted to eat chips, cookies, crackers, etc.  My stomach churns at the very thought.  Keep an eye on it.  Determine whether it's occasional, regular, and how low it goes.  If yours drops as badly as mine does, there are foods you will need to eliminate altogether.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

tee t.
on 11/25/11 9:31 am
 and, a word to the wise..

Never share any monitoring device that another person's blood has been on. Ever, no matter who it is.

Bloodborne pathogens can be transmitted this way.

I am not an expert on the new technology. However any amount of blood (which may or may not be visible to the naked eye) can be infectious.

just so you know.
JIB 1986
revised to RNY 2004
plastics 2004,2006, 2009
Linda_S
on 11/25/11 9:34 am - Eugene, OR
Generally, the strips that get blood on them are thrown away, so no chance of cross contamination, unless you're sharing the sharp that pokes your finger.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Emily F.
on 11/26/11 6:14 am
I would watch it very closely. Did you over eat or eat some thing sugary? If it was a one time thing, I would jus****ch it, if it happens again, I would move the appt up. But it doesn't necessarily have to be your surgeon, you can see a pcp.
Diminishing Dawn
on 11/26/11 10:21 pm - Windsor, Canada
Just as the others said. RH is extremely common 1-2 years after surgery. You have to learn how to manage it and must take it very seriously. You could go low enough to pass out or have a seizure if not careful. You'll need to get a Glucometer and start writing down foods and how they affect you to watch for patterns and foods you may want to avoid. You want to mix all carbs with a protein. You want to eat 1-2 hours after a meal just to bump up sugars. I suggest going to your pharmacy and getting sugar pills to keep in your purse at all times.

Feel free to message me anytime!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active