pre surgery diet concern

bubster
on 1/13/12 9:37 am - Delta, OH
About to start 14 day liquid diet pre-surgery.  Does everyone accomplish this?  Getting a VSG end of month.
bubster
on 1/13/12 9:42 am - Delta, OH
Also wondering about alcohol.  Not a big drinker, but why no alcohol for over year?  Has anyone tested this?
Jackie McGee
on 1/13/12 10:00 am - PA
I had to do a two week liquid diet, and I think a lot of people on this site have had to go through it. I'd say a majority of those who do it cheat at least once, and that's because we're human. I had to do 3 Carnation Instant Breakfasts a day, plus an extra if I was hungry - plus water, Crystal light and sugar-free Jell-O. I cheated a day or two before my surgery and everything was fine.

Most surgeons also push the one year before drinking rule, and that's simply because you won't know how you'll react to it until you try it. For RNY'ers, I think it has a lot to do with what's called dumping syndrome - for VSG'ers, I'm not sure what the reason is so maybe someone will pop in and help.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

bubster
on 1/13/12 10:08 am - Delta, OH
thank you. i appreciate your time and info.
Jackie McGee
on 1/13/12 10:16 am - PA
I am occasionally - and randomly -  helpful

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Skoonie
on 1/13/12 11:15 am - Van Wert, OH
RNY on 01/31/12 with
I start my full liquid diet on the 17th and I was surprised at what I can have. Oatmeal pureed with skim milk and cream soups, jello, pudding I think I will make it. My surgery is the 31st. Good Luck

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 1:21 pm - PA
 The reason for no alcohol for a year is because of weight loss. Losing weight puts a toll on your liver and makes it work harder and by drinking alcohol you'll be adding to it. 

PS.  I'm on day 4 of my liquid diet and lost 10 lbs so far :). 
Harry Parkinson
on 1/13/12 9:43 pm - Maysville, MO
Hi good questions. And some good advice. But the are all right but the best advice is learning to fallow direction. My best advice I came up with got me to 360lbs.use this time to learn how to fallow direction and learn how to take care of your body. So it wont give out.and as for the diet just remind yourself how bad you want the surgery and it's easy.my surgeon really wanted to see if I was really ready and able too keep my weight off. He wanted me to lose as much as I could. And I did. Good luck and welcome to the losers club
chefstacielynn
on 1/14/12 3:14 am - TX
RNY on 01/16/12
 I am in the last few days of my liquid diet I found after the 3rd day I was doing ok. I have cheated 2 times but I have lost 14 pounds and it has helped me get a idea what to expect with trying to get all my shakes in  good luck 
 dont worry be happy      
bubster
on 1/19/12 10:06 am - Delta, OH
Thank you, I appreciate you sharing.
Most Active