Sleep Apnea

Long2bLittle
on 1/20/12 4:48 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
 How many of you were diagnosed with Sleep Apnea that now after you WLS you no longer have?

I will probably have to due a sleep study as part of my preliminary testing.  I was diagnosed with it about 2 1/2 years ago.  But I do not currently use a c-pap.  I am pretty sure the it has gotten worse since I have gain weight since the first study.  They told me then that if I lost weight I would probably lose the Sleep Apnea as well.

Have any of you had this type of secnario?  Just curious how and if your WLS has helped with your Sleep Apnea.

Thanks!!
Frenia2
on 1/20/12 5:00 am - VA
 Hello,
After I had my WLS (12/5/11)  I was told my my doctor not to use my cpap machine.  He did not want any damage to stop me from healing.  I have not used it since and believe it or not I feel like it has gone.  I'm 50 pounds lighter and don't feel tired at all.  I have used a cpap machine for about 10 years.  Hope this helps.
CorpusMutatis
on 1/20/12 5:09 am
My weight loss helped but it didn't completely cure my SA. I had to have a deviated septum fixed in my nose with a turbinate reduction and then I also had a UP3  procedure done and it has pretty much left me able to sleep without a CPAP.  I may snore sometimes if I am on my side but I do not have any apnea episodes now and I have been withouth my CPAP for about a year and a half and feel refreshed from the sleep I am getting.

http://www.breathefreely.com/snoring-sleep-surgical-solution s.php

I think it varies on a lot of things but there are surgeons you can go to who is an ENT/Head/Neck surgeon.  This is who I went to:

http://www.breathefreely.com/
k9ophile
on 1/20/12 6:50 am
Sleep apnea can kill; CPAP can help prevent death.  For the first two weeks I was on a CPAP machine, I cried myself to sleep.  I tried about 6 masks before I found one that I could tolerate. I even used my CPAP for naps.  Now after losing 90% of my excess weight, I am cured and I had a sleep study to prove it.  Actually it was cured before  I reached the 90% mark, but when isn't as important as getting a sleep study to verify the cure.  When you go to bed tonight, put on your CPAP.  Use it until you have been cleared to go off it.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

glzgowlass
on 1/20/12 7:07 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with

I could not get by without my c-pap before WLS.  After surgery, I stopped using it and I'm doing fine.  I may still have mild apnea as I haven't lost all my weight yet, but they told me to get a new sleep study done at the 6 month mark to see where I am.

WLS definately helped my apnea and that's why it's taken into consideration as a co-morbidity.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

walter A.
on 1/20/12 8:30 am - lafayette, NJ
Mutt has it right,  had SA  before i was heavy, it caused my weight gain, it came from my gerd and hiatal hernia, if you have excess skin on the outside that doesn't disappear why do you think it disappears in your throat, wrong, you may need plastic in your throat,  get a sleep study,
  google the NYU center for arrhythmia's, and ask them, SA does cause a fib, and other arrhythmia's, some fatal, I survived mine.  and my ds cured my type 2 diabetes, but not my SA, and there is three types of SA.  see a SA expert,  and get a sleep study.  
ITS YOUR LIFE AND THE FIX IS SO EASY. 
Most Active