Help diagnosed with breast cancer.

I. Hurt
on 2/12/12 11:32 am - Kennesaw, GA
 have been diagnosed with ER+/PR+ and HER2 positive breast cancer.  I have completed my harsh chemo (taxol & Carbo). Now I need herceptin for a week for the next 8 - 12 months.  I am really nervous that I am going to gain weight taking the herceptin.
Anybody ever have any weight gain or weight loss  with this herceptin?
Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/12/12 7:06 pm - Burleson, TX

I can't answer your specific question, right now, but will try to do some research, and get back with you.

But, please allow me to say:

Your HEALTH is so much more important than any number on that scale. Who cares what you weigh if you're dead? You made it thru the chemo (WOOHOO!!!!), and now you will go forward thru the Herceptin. IF you gain weight..so be it..you will THEN address THAT issue..and we'll be here to help you

But..for now...your priority has to be continuing to fight that cancer--IMHO

Positive vibes, many prayers and cyber (((HUGS))) headed your way!

Gina AKA Nurse Diva

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

M M
on 2/12/12 8:21 pm
 I am sorry.

However.

Your health in fighting your cancer is more important than any number on that scale.

I don't know anything about weight gain and the medications you need to take, but maybe now is a good time to hide the scale.   It's just not necessary and it might be better for your well-being to just ignore it for now.

Are you eating well --- getting enough nutrition?  Do you have a nutritionist still?
AnneGG
on 2/12/12 9:20 pm
I am a breast cancer survivor, and had all my treatment pre surgery- it put off my surgery by a year. I am now a 2 1/2 year survivor.

I echo that your health is more important than anything, and is your first priority.

Please do whatever you can to treat yourself well and gently during your treatment!

((((hugs)))) and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

martitalinda
on 2/12/12 11:00 pm
 (((((((HUGS))))) ... right now you, your health and well being take precedence over the scale or any regain or not ... . Sending you positive thoughts and energy and wishing you nothing but the best as you enter this next phase of your treatment.   

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Snowberry
on 2/13/12 1:53 am, edited 2/13/12 1:54 am
VSG on 04/10/12
First of all, I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  I have to agree with everything everyone else has said.  Fighting cancer and making sure you do everything you can to keep it from recurring has to be your first priority now.  

Having said that, I will admit that your question made me think.  I am a breast cancer survivor and also did seven rounds of  "regular" chemo and a full year of Herceptin.  I went back and checked my records and I did gain 21 pounds over the course of that year. BUT I also had a lot of other stuff going on then and was eating out and ordering carryout A LOT and wasn't as active as I had been, so I suspect that had a lot to do with it.

I have not seen any research that suggest that Herceptin causes weight gain, but I have heard from others who have also gained a bit.  Interestingly, Herceptin's manufacturer lists weight LOSS as a possible side effect, so go figure.

However, keep in mind, I did all this pre-surgery (I haven't had surgery yet).  None of the women that also had weight gain had had any type of weight-loss surgery prior to taking Herceptin.  So these resulsts might not apply to you.  

I'm glad to hear you are past the "hard" part of chemo.  You should have a much easier time with just the Herceptin.  I actually had no side effects from it.  If you do gain a bit of weight, the reduction in the possibility of recurrence that you will get from the Herceptin is well worth it.  You can always lose that weight later after you have finished your treatments.
I. Hurt
on 2/13/12 1:54 pm - Kennesaw, GA
I just wanted to say thank you for all your encouragement.  I will keep my eyes on the prize. I will b thankfull to be alive also trying to maintain courage wisdom and strength.  Thanks again
Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/13/12 6:33 pm - Burleson, TX
SNOWBERRY-thank you for sharing your story-nobody knows best than someone who has "been there". The rest of us can offer encouragement/advice, but we can't really KNOW.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active