Food struggle

Awakening
on 2/19/12 1:10 pm - GA
  I am four months out about 80 pds down but my struggle with food has returned. I cant eat the same portion but I can eat pretty much everything and no sickness. I am terrified and it's getting worse. I was never a big sweets person but its like that's all I want now. Today I sat at home and nibbled all day, chips,cookies, I am not sure what is happening. I guess the honeymoon is over and I am going to have to tighten up on my family about what we have in the house. When I was fresh out of surgery, I didn't want anything but that is not the case anymore. Any suggestions or anybody able to relate, what should I 
AnneGG
on 2/19/12 3:33 pm
Yup, four months out is when my hunger returned, too. Some people are actually lucky enough that their hunger never returns!

I can't have anything in the house, and thank heavens my husband actively supports that for himself, too. I also plan my food for every day the night before, and during tough times I journal it also.

It's a daily battle for me. So I keep myself as active as I can and I exercise a lot. The payoff of being thin and in good health is so worth it to me.

There is an excellent book called "The Beck Diet Solution- Learning to Think Like a Thin Person" that I find to be very helpful.

So yes, I relate all too well!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

devaoner
on 2/19/12 9:03 pm
 I'd say maybe around 8 months maybe alittle longer I started craving junk food all the time which did not make me sick and no matter if it was in my house or not I couldn't get that item I wanted out of my head until I tasted it! It was nuts I think about something for two weeks sometimes! And the  sad part was that I wasn't a junk food person before surgery a piece of pumpkin pie on holidays and that was it but know its things I'd never try in my past. I've lost about 160 give of take but don't want all this trash but I still end up having something, I just eat small portion if I'm gonna have it, sometime I hope it will make me sick so I'd never touch it again. I've toll my surgeon many time about the cravings and they don't understand it so Im on my own just wish my husband would be my drill Sargent like the beginning of my surgery!  Good luck I'm glad to hear its not only me.
poet_kelly
on 2/19/12 10:01 pm - OH
Your surgeon doesn't understand the cravings?  What doesn't he understand?  Operating on your stomach did not stop you from having food cravings because food cravings come from your brain and he did not operate on your brain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

martitalinda
on 2/19/12 11:32 pm
 Sorry to hear you are struggling... there are some awesome SF/FF desserts and treats that satisfy that sweet tooth yet keep you healthy and in line with your plan ... there are several that you can either make yourself or buy in the store ... Arctic Zero has awesome protein ice cream at 105 cals per pint ... they taste delicious ... on my OH blog here I have shared who to make the zip-lock protein ice cream which was shared back in 2007 and there are many awesome recipes out there too ... a lot of them I have picked up right here on OH and several have been shared by Eggface on her blog which I encourage you to visit...

Oftentimes the cravings will go away for a particular item in a matter of minutes ... just shift your attention to something else ... if there are trigger foods that are not good for you and you just can't resist the temptation of having more and more try to avoid buying them...

As your caloric intake increases you may want to bump up your exercise routine a notch and keep your fluid intake up to par ... I purpose myself to this every day and now it comes second nature ... when I pick up something I ask myself .. do I want to wear this? remembering my Size 4x-5x compared to today and I put it back down.,,

One day at a time ... all is not lost ... so you nibbled yesterday ...just start today with a new mindset and when the craving**** reach for something that will do the body good ... it is a one.day.at.a.time thing ....

Try to search for Chocolate Protein Cake Shake and Ricotta Fluff on here ... these recipes were shared by others and even by myself as I made it from the sharing by others and are DELICIOUS for a dessert treat....

Wishing you nothing but the best on your journey ... WE CAN DO THIS ... one.day.at.a.time.... 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

jastypes
on 2/20/12 5:01 am - Croydon, PA
You do NOT want to go down that road.  It is possible to re-gain a lot, if not all, of your weight back.  Have a plan of eating so that you are aware of what and when you eat.  I had a mantra for a while -- Just because you CAN eat something, doesn't mean you should.  Sugar, in particular, can set up cravings for more sugar.  Some of us really are food addicts with cravings similar to those of an alcoholic -- once we have one bite, we cannot stop ourselves without help.  I've learned that some of my trigger foods are sugar; corn chips and peanut butter.  I simply cannot eat them safely.  You have to figure out what is not safe for you.  I now attend Overeaters Anonymous to help me with my food issues.  I don't always get it right, but I have managed to not undo all the good work this toold allowed me to accomplish.

The fact that you are seeing this and recognizing it at 4 months out is superb.  Find support!!!  It can be critical to your long-term success.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active