How do you nurture yourself? How do you have FUN?

GreenGardener
on 2/18/12 11:49 pm
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 I used to nurture myself with food.  Food was my entertainment, my relief from boredom, my fun.  I have found out (the brutally hard way) that I have to nurture myself in other ways if I am not going to use food.  

To me, this does NOT mean things that give me satisfaction for a job well done:  i.e., exercise (do it and feel good about it, but I don't find it "fun").   I love that things like exercise, completing tasks, cleaning the house make my world feel orderly and give me a sense of satisfaction, I don't consider them "FUN".   Even massages -- which are incredibly nurturing and wonderful -- are not "FUN".  

In looking at this lately, I have found several ways that I have FUN that feel nurturing:  Dancing (around the house to my ipod);  going to the theater, ballet, comedy club, etc.; playing with the dogs in the yard; reading (not exactly fun, but incredibly nurturing); spending time with women friends that I can really be honest and open with.  

What I tend to fall into -- which is not nurturing, but soul sucking -- is watching tv.  While this does serve to (briefly) relieve boredom, it is not good for what ails me, and does not "fill my bucket."  

So:  What fills your bucket that is FUN?????
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
AnneGG
on 2/19/12 12:02 am
I love hanging with good friends including my husband the most. They always get me laughing, which helps the perspective. And they listen to my tears and I listen to theirs. I do love my peeps.

And I like good movies and plays and music, travel- getting out and about. And reading. And playing on the computer. And hugging my dog Bramble and playing with my cats. And exploring new options. I'm going zip lining on the OH cruise coming up (wish you were coming, Green Gardener!) And I have fun with my volunteer work.

I'm having fun with life these days in spite of the inevitable bumps and bruises- I'm of the age where I realize my time here is limited.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

GreenGardener
on 2/19/12 12:23 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 Anne - I went ziplining a few months ago and had an absolute blast!   I'm ready to go again - what a rush!  That was FUN!!!
M M
on 2/19/12 1:06 am
I love dancing badly, traveling, getting my nails or hair done, window shopping, and photography... it's not often enough that I do any of these things, but soon I'll do it!  SOON!
GreenGardener
on 2/19/12 4:57 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 Yea, me too -- soon!  (Just as soon as I get this work done or this house clean or take a nap  or . . . 
ruggie
on 2/19/12 1:32 am - Sacramento, CA
I've been running a WLS support group, locally.  That has been a lot of fun for me.  At first, I was shy and thinking it would be a lot of work, but it hasn't been that bad at all.  It's allowed me to meet an amazing group of diverse people I otherwise wouldn't have met, and I get to stay surrounded by all their positive energy.  I consider this a nuturing reward for myself.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

GreenGardener
on 2/19/12 4:56 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 What a great way to stay connected to people!   I trust there is a lot of fun and laughter in the meetings :)
Bettisima
on 2/19/12 5:59 am
I take a nice scented bath, curl up in the quiet and read, window shopping.. Because trying on clothes is a whole new high, I take classes... This quarter I am learning about working with glass. Making glass beads and I really want to learn to do stain glass work.

I used to eat, because it was just for me. It was personal. I am now trying to learn what other things I want to do.
Dorathea
on 2/19/12 8:38 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
I love getting my hair and nails done.  I also like getting facials and massages.  I basically love doing anything that pampers me.  That being said, I also like reading, traveling and taking naps.  Recently, me and some of the girls I work with started a girls night out or girls day out.  We usually go out to eat (I know), then go window shopping and get a massage.  If we go out at night, we usually go out for dinner and then go out to the local gay bar and catch the drag show.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

BriarRose
on 2/19/12 8:49 am
I live in So. Cal and my 19 yr old daughter and I have So Cal annual disneyland passes ! We can "do" disneyland (it IS an hour and a half ride for us) at least once a month ! And I have learned how to go to Disneyland for under $20 for the two of us ! We take our water bottles, and pack a lunch with us (tell security you have special medical diet, and keep everything in see through bags...you can take a soft sided cooler, smaller than a 6 pack in with you) We split a dinner, and maybe split a snack. It is true mommy and daughter time, and we laugh and window shop, go on rides, and we both have FUN !

Since I have lost the weight, I am back to being able to go horseback riding. Haven't done it more than twice yet, but LOVE LOVE LOVE that I can do what I haven't been able to do in 25 years.

I DO consider a massage fun. And a facial. And a pedi. And after 4 years of divorce, and weight loss of 120 pounds, and at age 55, I have actually gone on a couple of dates -- MAJOR FUN !

I try to find happiness where ever I am, and have learned how to find the fun in the everyday things I do too.

My daughter has come to call me (with a hefty dose of sarcasm in the voice) "THE HAPPY BUNNY"

She doesn't think it's a compliment. But I do.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active