Qnexa

gi_bode
on 2/27/12 10:35 pm
so are diet meds contraindicated for people who have had RNY? Just wondering.
M M
on 2/27/12 11:15 pm
 QNEXA is a mix of phentermine and topiramate.  Both have their own set of issues -- and -- combined -- offer about 10% total bodyweight loss.

Meh.

For a morbidly obese individual it seems hardly worth it -- unless you're willing to ALSO diet and exercise your ass off WITH the drug -- and play the diet game.

For the typical dieter post RNY -- where many of us LAND -- I do wonder.  I am a 8 year post op -- at 169 lbs -- and I take Topamax for seizure control -- and it DOES seem to effect appetite.  I initially lost 10% when I started taking it, and GAINED BACK 10% when I stopped taking it. 

So.  There's that.

Phen -- has heart side effects -- I don't want to go there.

gi_bode
on 2/28/12 7:16 am
thanks for your reply! I hope I look as good as you do 8 years out.

I think it was the phenfloramine part of the phentermine regime that caused the heart valve problems, but the phentermine does spur heart rate, so its probably not the best choice if you have high blood pressure or a ticker problem?

Yup, I wondered if it would help banish my growing appetite, and help me to move more past the pain of creaky bones

gi
Linda_S
on 2/28/12 11:06 am - Eugene, OR
I got put on phentermine last year due to no metabolism from low blood sugar issues.  Believe me, it's just not worth it.  I finally stopped taking it because I couldn't stand the heart palpitations.  Yes, it's harder for me to try and control my weight without it, but I feel a lot better without it.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

gi_bode
on 2/28/12 12:21 pm, edited 2/28/12 12:21 pm
Thanks Linda, all input is helpful to me at this point.
open RNY December 21, 2010
St. Vincent's Charity Hospital

Most Active