in need of some advice to give me a peace of mind

desireelynn
on 2/29/12 10:27 am
RNY on 06/26/12

Okay so today I had my last preop appointment with my surgeron, my surgery is March 13th :) I am overly thrilled about that but I am a little bummed out because he said that after im under they are going to send a scope down and make sure my bile ducts do not have any gallstones in them and if they do they wont be able to do my weight loss surgery right then and there :( I am having my gallbladder out at the same time but I guess if there are anything in my ducts I wont have weight loss surgery that day. Back in December I went to the ER where they did an ultrasound and found out that I had like 4 gallstones in my gallbladder...I could of swore and maybe I am wrong but I thought the ER dr told me that my ducts were clear and at the time i didnt even think to ask "what are you talking about". Anyways I am wondering does ANYONE know if you can see if ur ducts are clear thru an ultrasound...I know I should be bummed and I should be hoping for the best but its a bit hard. My surgeon even told me that the chances for gallstones being in my ducts are very slim :( any advice would be awesome. Im thinking maybe he is just trying to be cautious because he said after my RNY they cannot send a scope down...

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE~

AnneGG
on 2/29/12 10:43 am
I have no idea whether they can see if your ducts are clear thru an ultrasound.

I had my gallbladder out first, then breast ca treatment when they discovered that on a mammogram, then failed lapband surgery where they couldn't place the band because of a huge hiatal hernia, then finally my RNY that was delayed until after a vacation.

You'll get there- there might be a necessary detour first.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

BethR311
on 2/29/12 10:47 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I'm no doctor, but I think stones in the bile ducts are what cause gallbladder pain, so if you're not in pain, I think you're okay as far as gallstones in your bile ducts.

Back in the 80s my sister went to a speed doctor and lost 75 pounds in eight weeks. But I remember her literally rolling on the floor crying in pain. She went to the ER and they removed her gallbladder that night. Her surgeon told us she had a lot of stones in the bile ducts from the rapid weight loss ... and even asked, has she been seeing Dr So and so?

Dr Feelgood ended up copping a plea and doing community service, but at least he wasn't selling little paper envelopes of pills anymore.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
desireelynn
on 2/29/12 10:49 am
RNY on 06/26/12
Well I know that I have gallstones but they are in my gallbladder and that is the reason why im having my gallbladder removed during RNY surgery...I believe my surgeon is maybe just doing this to be sure since after RNY they cant send a scope down...im prayng this is the case!
MsBatt
on 2/29/12 10:47 am
ARe you having an RNY? Under your avatar it says VSG.

Yes, it's true that after the RNY they can't 'scope your bile duct---but they can after a VSG, because there's no re-routing of the small intestine.

Stones in the bile duct are potentially deadly, if they're large enough to get stuck. I have no idea if they can been seen on an ultrasound, but this is one of those 'better safe than sorry' things.
MyLady Heidi
on 2/29/12 10:57 pm
Believe me you would know from the excruciating pain if your bile duct was blocked.  I had my gallbladder out over 10 years ago and at the time they thought some stones had passed into my bile ducts, after 3 days on antibiotics they detemined my blood count was good and they could finally remove my gallbladder.  Fast forward 10+ years and I was in please take me to the hospital immediately type of pain, turns out that one of those tiny stones did pass and sat in my bile duct all those years growing larger and larger until it was blocking the duct and causing me such agonizing pain.  Luckily once it passes its gone and out of your body.  And no the ultrasound could not see it, just the symptoms and the extremely high pancreatic enzymes caused by the blockage.  Hopefully you will be fine and they will just rip the sucker out and you will have no more problems.
Most Active