Went in for DS-came out w/VSG Still in shock

grisaille
on 3/9/12 12:19 pm - NC
I know I've posted once but I cannot shake this disorientation of waking up with a different surgery than I went under the anesthesia to have.  I studied and researched and jumped through hoops for 9 months and chose the DS.  I admit part of the decision was because of the less regain but mostly because of my diabetes and high blood pressure and BMI of 57.  But due to internal difficulties due to previous surgeries, the surgeon was unable to do the switch part of the DS safely so I gather I have just the sleeve. 

I am so worried I won't be able to lose all my weight as I am a heavy-weight.  I am 15 days post-op and have been taken off all diabetic medications and cholesterol medication.  Now I may have to go back on some insulin when I start soft foods on Monday.  And I worry about insurance payment of the surgery.

I thought I would settle into the identity of a VSGer but haven't.  Everythig I have read says it is for lightweights.  I have lost a chunk of weight since before the surgery. . . .so I guess I'm just being insecure.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Jack_Fabulous
on 3/9/12 12:25 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
I have 150 lbs to lose and I got a VSG.  I don't think it is just for light weights.

MacMadame
on 3/9/12 3:05 pm - Northern, CA
"Now I may have to go back on some insulin when I start soft foods on Monday. "

Why? I've been on the VSG board for 3.5 years and I've never seen a single person go back on insulin when they start on soft foods. VSG, RnY and DSers typically get off all insulin immediately unless their diabetes is really bad and then they aren't off it out of the hospital.

Also, diabetes resolution for VSG is similar to RnY and both are only about 10% lower  than DS on average. That's not a big difference.

"Everything I have read says it is for lightweights."

Everything? Because there are plenty of people (and data) saying otherwise. In fact, it's quite typical for lightweights to come to the lightweights board and say they are afraid that the VSG is too much surgery for them.

I think you've been listening to a certain group, none of whom have a VSG, all of whom say with utter confiction but little evidence that a VSG is good for people with a BMI of 40 or less. But, quite frankly, it's BS. RnY and VSG have similar weight loss. No one says RnY is only for lightweights. If RNY is for people with higher BMIs than 40, than so is VSG.

In fact, at a symposium for VSG, the consensus among the medical personal attending was that for people with a BMI of 60 or more, VSG often isn't enough. Not a BMI of 40, but 60.

But of course statistics aren't predictative to the individual. There are people with VSG who have lost 200, 300 or more pounds. Why not assume you'll be one of them and go at your weight loss with gusto? I think it's natural to mourn when our plans don't work out but I think once you see the weight falling off, it will ease some of the pain.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

FleurDeLis
on 3/9/12 4:42 pm
Without knowing the difficulties the surgeon encountered, all I can say is that just because it was not safe to do the full DS now doesn't mean it can't be done later. The VSG is considered the first part of a two part surgery for the DS in patients who cannot tolerate the full DS at once. A lot of patients have the VSG as the first stage and then never go back for the second stage because the VSG is enough.
Amalia S.
on 3/9/12 5:29 pm - Athens, Greece
 I realize that it is disconcerting to have a change in the type of surgery you wanted and expected.  On the other hand, I'm sure the surgeon's decision to stop at only the first part of the DS, the VSG, was well-considered and was made for your own safety. What you said, that the the VSG is for lightweights is not true. 
At 5'2", 290lbs, and chronic MS and diabetis, I did not consider myself a "lightweight" under any cir****tances and hanging out at OH for the past 2 years or so, I have seen many people with much higher weights opt for the VSG AND succeed! It is my firm opinion that 90% of the success of any surgery is adherence to the rules. So it's up to you now. You have an excellent surgery... it's up to you to make it succeed.

Over 110 lbs lost!! (Finally!)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/almost/   
rbb825
on 3/9/12 5:33 pm - Suffern, NY
I am not  DS patient but I have read quite often that surgeons say they are going to do a DS but when the patient wakes up they did something else  - they actually aren't DS surgeons but dont' telll patients that - it is a bait and switch scam and it is terrible.  I can't say that happened with you but it does happen.

I really hope you dont have trouble with your insurance - you have grounds to appeal it you can't help that the surgeon didnt' do what he said he was going to do  - he said it was due to complications - I would ask for a surgical report and dont 'accept no for an answer -if they say no, they are hiding something and have your PCP request one.

You can always have the second part done and go to the DS facts site and check for DS surgeons - you are will now be considered a revision which is considered a little trickier and not all surgeons do that.  Good luck - as far as the diabetes -you should be okay

Dawnie 88
on 3/9/12 8:53 pm
I'm so sorry that you didn't get your surgery choice.  I can tell you that I chose VSG and my BMI was 58.9.  I have went from 354 lbs to 188 so far.  Was wearing a size 32 jean, 4XL shirts..now wearing a juniors size 13 jeans and Large shirts..and feeling awesome!  I could lose more without much effort, but I've been enjoying many goodies lately that haven't made me gain..but i've stayed the same weight because of it.  It's all about choices.  I am so happy where i am, that i have quit trying at this point to continue to lose, but you can and you will..if you want it.  Best of luck to you!!

grisaille
on 3/9/12 10:06 pm - NC
Thanks everyone!  My surgeon was Dr. Ranjan Sudan at Duke and he is known as a DS surgeon . . . promotes it in fact.  So it was not a "bait and switch".  It simply took him hours to undo adhesions and scar tissue formed from the earlier gall bladder and hernia surgery (which involved mesh and some intestines had grown into the mesh)  that he was not expecting. 

And there was simply not enough "loose" intestine even after his work to do the switch of the DS.  So he came out and offered my husband the choice of just closing-up after all the repair work and doing NO WLS (Now, I REALLY would not have handled that well) or doing just the sleeve. 

There is a chance after I lose a hundred pounds of maybe trying to go back in and seeing if part 2 of the DS can be done . . . however my attitude right now is to try my best to lose my weight without resorting to this (as my oxygen sats did not do that well during and post-op)  and to ROCK THIS VSG . . .

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Aasect .org
on 3/9/12 11:47 pm
I'm so sorry that happened to you, but it sounds like Dr. Sudan did what he had to. Work with your VSG and see what happens, I think you might be able to do very well. Good luck.
grisaille
on 3/9/12 11:52 pm - NC
And I don't want to run down the VSG - it was my surgeon's first choice for me due to my psych meds but MEdicare won't cover restrictive-only surgeries . . . so I chose the DS

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Most Active