Went in for DS-came out w/VSG Still in shock

momjan
on 3/10/12 1:45 am - Canada
It might have been a shock, but you have received a darn good wls surgery.   I believe the VSG was initially used on very large patients and that when a person got to a more 'reasonable' weight, the surgeon then performed RNY surgery to complete the process.

Then they found that the VSG alone worked pretty much as well and in some cases, better than RNY, so it became a standalone procedure.

There may still be the option later to complete the DS if necessary, if your doctor sees the need and can convince your insurance company of it.

Good luck; you have a great tool!  The VSG removes the part of the stomach that contains the gherelin that tells you you are hungry; it's a positive part of the VSG.  The RNY doesn't remove this part of the stomach and most RNYers start getting hungrier after the honeymoon period.  So you have an advantage over RNYers right off the bat.  Of course, the DS would give you the best of both worlds..you might get there, or you might not need it!

Work what you have; you will be thrilled with the results!
Nikkal
on 3/10/12 3:04 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 come on over to the VSG board and you'll find lots of heavyweights rockin' their sleeves - same as on the over 50 BMI board.

I haven't even had my first consult yet, but I know I'm doing a sleeve, and I have ~200 lbs to lose. I know it will be the right choice for me and how I want to live post weight-loss.

Jtinkb6988
on 3/10/12 3:30 am - Round Rock, TX
I had VSG in 12-2012. I lost some weight before surgery but have lost 100 ounds since surgery and still losing. So far I have lost 143 pounds and I just turned 60 years old and feel better than I have
in years. I started water aerobics..at first I felt like a fish out of water but now I can do alot of the moves and try to get 4-6 classes a week. Trust me I never left the house after work and for me a walk was okay sometimes.

I am praying for you.

Best wishes.

Off into the wild blue yonder.

Highest weight:329
Surgery Weight:286

ruggie
on 3/10/12 4:27 am - Sacramento, CA
I am really sorry to hear that you didn't receive the WLS that you were hoping for - that definitely sucks.

Don't be too worried yet - I agree that a lot of people suggest DS for your BMI level, based on statistics.  But remember, where you end up on a statistical distribution is part luck, part genetics, part will-power, part compliance, part life-style change, and part determination.

There are people in your weight class that do get to goal with VSG.  There are some real stars in our forum.  We have Frisco who started with a BMI of 55 and lost nearly 200 pounds and is at goal.  We have jimbovsg who started at a BMI of over 74!  And he's lost something like 350 pounds and his BMI is under 30 now.  It can be done - but these folks made very dedicated lifestyles changes.  They relied on their surgery as a backup tool to their real weapon - changing how they lived.

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

jimbovsg
on 3/12/12 8:44 pm
On March 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, ruggie wrote:
I am really sorry to hear that you didn't receive the WLS that you were hoping for - that definitely sucks.

Don't be too worried yet - I agree that a lot of people suggest DS for your BMI level, based on statistics.  But remember, where you end up on a statistical distribution is part luck, part genetics, part will-power, part compliance, part life-style change, and part determination.

There are people in your weight class that do get to goal with VSG.  There are some real stars in our forum.  We have Frisco who started with a BMI of 55 and lost nearly 200 pounds and is at goal.  We have jimbovsg who started at a BMI of over 74!  And he's lost something like 350 pounds and his BMI is under 30 now.  It can be done - but these folks made very dedicated lifestyles changes.  They relied on their surgery as a backup tool to their real weapon - changing how they lived.

Good luck!
   "you can't always get what ya want....but if you try sometimes...you might find.......you get what you need!" (Rolling Stones) 
   Listen ....it sucks to wake up Christmas morning wishing and dreaming for the Malibu Barbie and Ken in the pink convertible vette....but you wake up on Christmas morning...and Santa left you the "soccer mom " barbie..with the  2 kids.....beer-gut balding Ken.. and a mini-van! 
   You feel cheated!.....dissapointed.....angry!   Then the initial shock wears off......you mourn the loss  of what "could have been"  And accept....and embrace what "is"   hopefully in time you start to realize.....Soccer mom Barbie is still hot...has 2 great kids...and a loving supportive husband....Malibu Barbie....doesn't have kids....can't fit **** in her uncomfortable gas guzzling car....and her Ken is bangin the neighbor's 19 YO daughter! 
    You wanted a surgery that was a 12lb sledgehammer...you got one that was a 6lbs sledgehammer...both will get the job done...one will take a bit longer and require a bit more work!  Enough analogies for ya?
    So as Ruggie here said....I was SSMO...unofficially over 600lbs  (BMI of 77) ....time of surgery 580lbs ( BMI 74.4)   I'm stable at about  232lbs So  (BMI29.7)  Yay I'm overweight!  I don't worry about the BMI scale too much...doesn't work for most of us....I wear a L shirt...and 36 waist.... but .i have a fair amount of muscle mass and extra skin!   Is this do-able?  Yes!    Are my results "typical"...no    I would venture a guess the stats on RNY or DS patients who started at 70+ BMI....are similar to mine. 
   I was on 250u of insulin daily  (70/30 mix) max dose metformin...and actos...Byetta for about a year..BP meds....walking  (barely)  with a cane I was off all meds within 3months..insulin took approx 6 months  All my numbers are normal...labs done  last month...perfect (A1C was a bit higher than usual 5.6...normally low 5's...ummm previous 3 months holiday treats lol! it will be lower next test! )
   I know you are struggling with what has happened to you....it sucks....and I hope one day soon you will embrace your "soccer mom Barbie"...and 6 lb sledge....pick up that hammer and swing it......it is all youhave for now!     Good luck to you!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

LaughingCow
on 3/12/12 2:43 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Well, I'd be shocked, too. I can only imagine how unsettling it was.

I do think you'll get used to it in time. It sounds like you had a very competent surgery who probably saved you a lot of pain and trouble in the future that the adhesions would have caused.

Welcome to the VSG club, even though you were aiming for the DS club. We're happy to have you.

I think the idea of VSG being suitable only for lightweights is a bit old fashioned. I bet you'll be one of the ones who proves this concept wrong.

Take care,
Amy
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 9:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You'll have to pay a little more attention to fat and calories, however plenty are succeeding with VSG.  I'm glad he gave you that and you didn't wake up with just a scar and no wls at all.  Make the best of what you have and you might just surprise the heck out of yourself.  Further down the road, perhaps the finish of DS will be possible, or better yet, not at all necessary.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nunyo B.
on 3/12/12 12:25 pm
I'm very sorry that you didn't get what you wanted, and I know you must feel very disappointed, but you still have a shot with the VSG.  You've gotten some good advice here, and there's nothing I can really add except to say I truly wish you the best.  

Submitted 3/12/12 at 10:25pm EDT
Most Active