Any other altenative preop diet methods

tabrielle10
on 3/18/12 4:54 am
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make it through to reduce the amount of fat from around my liver?  It is suggested that the liquid preop diet is to reduce the amount of fat from around your liver.  My body is not registering well to just liquids.  Can I still incorporate the lean smoothie in the morning, afternoon, and then a nice protien balanced meal at night?  My body is going through some serious withdrawals, forcing me to eat a boiled egg and a piece of wheat toast.  Will I be able to recover?  Can I just start the liquid diet a week before my surgery?  Please advise!  Thanks!
Kathleen W.
on 3/18/12 5:21 am - Lancaster, PA
Have you talked  to your surgeon?  He/she can give you the best advice.  Did they say you had to do a 2 week liquid diet?  The reason I ask is that my surgeon had me lose a minimum of 10 lbs before surgery to reduce the liver and only had to do a liquid diet for one day.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

tabrielle10
on 3/18/12 5:30 am
You know what?  You may be right!  I read up on this and I did see where pts having this surgery would only have to do a minimal of 1-2 days of liquid diets before the surgery. I believe that the standard at this hospital from this particular Bariatric Surgeon is that he would like his patients to do the 2 week liquid diet to get the palets trained for liquids post surgery.  This is the only thing I can think as to why this is rolled out for 2 weeks.  Im up for my anethesiology appt on this upcoming Tuesday, and Im also scheduled to see my doctor on the same day.  I will ask him to reinterate.  Thanks for chiming in.
shasta101
on 3/18/12 6:09 am
RNY on 03/20/12
I have seen on here that every Dr. is different. I have to be on liquid diet for 5 days and I started on Thursday as my surgery is  Tuesday morning the 20th. I have also been so hungry. It has gotten better though. Today is bowel prep day so I have been staying in bathroom alot (tmi). Good luck on your journey.

tabrielle10
on 3/18/12 7:28 am
Thank you so much!  This is what I think I needed to hear, that I am not the only one who says this is difficult.  Im coming upon a new work week and I typically go swimming and do aquatics and implement the "wee" michael jackson experience before I dip into the pool.  The weekend may pose a problem for me as I have idol time on my hands and I look to food instead of the gym to ease my craving for food.  Good luck and God bless you on your surgery!!!!  I will keep you in my prayers!

LeeLee72
on 3/18/12 6:26 am - Niagara Falls, NY
 just to let you know..i also had to do a 2 week liquid diet. it got easier after day 4 but it was very tough.

tabrielle10
on 3/18/12 7:18 am
Thank you so much...I needed to hear this, and it means a lot!  I love..love..love..our support system here on obesityhelp.com! 

Emily F.
on 3/18/12 6:32 am
I have never seen a study show liquid diet shrinks livers MORE than a low carb diet. I did low carb for 1.5 weeks, clear liquids for 5 days. BUT you are trusting your surgeon and his/her recommendations so you should follow what they say. If you are having problems, you need to call them and let them know. Maybe they can suggest an alternative diet, don't go do something on your own. It may not be what they recommend. For example, my doc did not want me doing shakes pre op bc they were too thick. Call your doc and ask.
momjan
on 3/18/12 6:48 am - Canada
Just wondering.... if you can`t `stick by the rules` now, are you going to be able to stick by the rules after surgery? Two weeks or so on liquid proteins before surgery isn't so bad and after surgery, you will be spending time on a liquid diet, then a soft/pureed one....can you do that?  Or are you going to push the limits after surgery?

Are you going to be able to retrain yourself to not drink before and after meals, avoid fats and sugars, avoid the processed foods and processed carbs..bread, rice, potatoes, crackers, etc. after surgery?

Your doctor is the only one that can tell you why he has given you such a long period of liquid diet...in your case, he must feel it's best for you so your liver size will be reduced.  Doesn't really matter what other doctors have given as diets to their patients; your doctor wants YOU to follow his plan...so you need to do it.
tabrielle10
on 3/18/12 7:10 am
Well actually, I kinda started removing carbs out of my meals, geared towards lean protein smoothies throughout the day, and a low cal meal at night with plenty of exercise and water.  The problem I think I may be having is my slim bodied children in whom I know they mean well, but the smells of grilled this, and grilled that with salads and sort is getting to me in the 2 week window of which I need to be on the liquids.  Its mind over matter.  I have to really be strong in my spirit, rely on God to help aid in curbing my cravings and keep it moving.  It just nice to have a support system in place where I can talk to others like myself to relate to.  Thats all.  Thanks for chiming in.
Most Active