Why?

sniffles722002
on 5/12/12 3:25 pm - Puyallup, WA
 Why do people share the horror stories or the I know someone who had that surgery and gained ALL their weight back and then some.....

I have my own fears. I don't need to hear crap like that. 

Sorry. Just venting. 
cpcampbell
on 5/12/12 10:26 pm
.....maybe to share the 'other' side and to let others know that this is a real reality. If one does not follow the pouch rules and/or their doctors advice this is a real possibility - it does happen - it happend to me.  I gained 21 pounds and can't describe how I felt after all the hard work, etc.

I come here for support, guidance and help........ It is here that I learned about the 5 day Pouch Test (which I might add, helped me to get back on track and to lose the  weight).  I'm back - 10 pounds under goal. 

I've learned about nutirition here, that I'm not unique but share so much that others experience, ups, downs, in-betweens, etc. , new ideas for protein shakes, meals, etc.  and lastly,  there are no support group meetings in my area so this arena is perfect.  

cpcampbell

stlfocus
on 5/12/12 11:28 pm - IA
I know. Ticked me off too,but virtually everyone I told had some story about a friend of a friend who died, was disabled, or gained all the weight back.  Person after person told me to not do the surgery.  My son's friend is a nurse, and she advised him to warn me NOT to have the surgery because of all the complications she had seen in the hospital.  And on and on and on.

Even the one support group meeting I attended (sponsored by my surgeon) was nothing but a bunch of post-ops trying to one-up one another about who had the worst surgery, the most complications, etc.

I made the decision myself, and it has been a good one.  When someone tells me a horror story, I just reply that I am sorry to hear that, but I have had a good result.

Dawn
on 5/13/12 12:00 am - Salem, IL
I would figure you would want to know the truth so that you can stop it from happening to you. This surgery is only a jump start to success. I am 8 years post op and still have to watch what I eat or else I know I can gain it all back. Those who do not know the past are destined to repeat it.
Nic M
on 5/13/12 1:48 am

The reason I share my experience is because when I was going through horrific complications with the lapband, I felt very alone and scared. I felt as if I were the only one in the entire world experiencing these particular complications. I never want anyone to feel alone and scared, so if I can share and even possibly help, I will.

Maybe you're talking about people in "real life"... and I got that, too. I know it's unpleasant to hear, but people don't always think before sharing things. They hear "weight loss surgery" and the mouth starts before the brain engages.

I even got a few, "Toldja so's" from people who tried to "warn" me away from surgery! Kick a girl when she's down, huh?!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

sniffles722002
on 5/13/12 2:34 am - Puyallup, WA
 I suppose I should clarify. I was bothered when my ex husbands wife was telling me stories of people she knows *****gained all the weight, and was criticizing how much I can eat etc. 
I guess it was the person who was presenting the information and the way in which it was presented that bothered me. 

Thanks for the responses
Nic M
on 5/13/12 2:42 am

Yoiks. That kinda makes it much worse. Kinda passive aggressive ex-wifery stuff.

No one should ever criticize how much someone can eat, in my opinion. It's no one else's business, for cryin' out loud.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MsBatt
on 5/13/12 8:34 am
Sometimes people tell us horror stories out of concern---especially when we're pre-op and they're ignorant about the truth about WLS. And post-ops here tell horror stories to help pre-ops know what they're getting into, what might happen to them if they go ahead with surgery.

But your ex-husband's wife? She's just being *****y. (*grin*)
LunaChic
on 5/13/12 1:15 pm - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
In this case I would say that it was said out of jealousy.  I personally lost a friend by undergoing my surgery simply because she did not want me to have it and said she couldn't see me suffer.  Well, guess what - I didnt suffer anywhere near what she said.  I think she was having preemptive jealousy since I was going to lose weight, look better, and be healthier than her.  Some people act weird around positive life-changing decisions and it's those moments when you realize who your real friends are. :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

MARIA F.
on 5/13/12 6:22 am - Athens, GA

Ummmm..........maybe b/c this is a WLS site. It's not a "only those that have not had failed WLS" site.  Where else should we share our stories? And we share our stories b/c we wish someone had been kind enough to let us know the REAL dangers of some of the wls's out there.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active