3 weeks post op and curious

happymomma307
on 6/18/12 12:51 pm - OH
This may sound odd but I'm 3 weeks post op with RNY and it seems almost too good to be true. I don't feel one bit different than I did before the surgery. I'm not sure what I expected to feel but I don't feel hungry I don't feel full I eat the suggested 2 oz. and stop. Shouldn't I be feeling full at some point? I'm being very cautious right now because I want my pouch to heal properly and I don't want to stretch it out but I'm afraid if I can't tell when I'm full this surgery won't be successful for me! Has anyone else had a similar experience?
stlfocus
on 6/18/12 2:06 pm - IA
This early out you won't feel full because the nerves in your stomach have been cut.  They need to heal, and that is why it is so important that you measure everything you eat and stop at the amount suggested by your surgeon.  I can't remember when I started to get the full feeling, but it definitely was not at 3 weeks out.

Eventually you will start to feel full.  Dense protein will fill you up much faster and keep you satisfied longer than other foods.  That is why most programs suggest you eat protein first, then vegs and carbs last.  If you are like me, you will find very little room for the carbs, which helps your weight loss.

The bad news is most likely the hunger will return at some point.  You will be able to satisfy it with a lot less food, but you want to get in the habit of making sure you are eating the right stuff.

Glad to hear that you obviously are feeling well if you say you don't feel one bit different.  That was the way (and still do) I felt, and I have been very successful.

happymomma307
on 6/18/12 3:26 pm - OH
Thank you! I'm so glad to know this normal I was afraid I would never feel full again and that would be my worsy nightmare! While I'm not looking forwars to hunger, the hardest part will be giving up pasta which was a staple in my diet. But I am very excited about learning to cook my old favorites in a healthy way!
joeyanderson
on 6/18/12 2:57 pm
 Just keep going, don't lose hope...
Most Active