Sleeve questions

monique225
on 7/24/12 1:36 pm - LA
Hey All,

I'm so excited I go see the surgeon on Thursday a day and awake up. I am getting the sleeve, can any one tell me about the pain, please don't sugar cote it lol. Also I want to know the recovery time and and how long did surgery last...
Foxbins
on 7/24/12 2:43 pm
I was doped up for three days and felt no pain at all. I had to be careful rolling over in bed or that would hurt, but not moving, nope, no pain. I was up and about at 5 days out with a nap in the afternoon, and went back to work 2 weeks post-op. My surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours, longer than most because I had a large hiatial hernia that was repaired at the same time as the VSG. I'm 18 months post op now and have lost 96 lbs. I've been at goal since November 2011 and wear a size six!
Jenna V.
on 7/24/12 2:56 pm - Guelph, Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
I woke up in EXCRUCIATING pain. However, after they gave me a couple of pumps of morphine and it kicked in, I felt no pain after that. I did not take pain meds at all after the recovery room.

It took my largest incision quite a while to heal as it became infected. I slept on my recliner until it healed (which was just over a month). I highly recommend recliners as you heal.

My surgery lasted about 2 hours.

JaneJetson
on 7/24/12 3:28 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
 I totally agree about recliners.  I found that was the only way to get any sleep.  I had the RNY but with any of these surgeries having one is a life saver.  Jane
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/12 6:19 pm
On July 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM Pacific Time, JaneJetson wrote:
 I totally agree about recliners.  I found that was the only way to get any sleep.  I had the RNY but with any of these surgeries having one is a life saver.  Jane
I also agree with reclinars as that was really the only way to sleep.

fort lauderdale botox

monique225
on 7/24/12 3:09 pm - LA
Thanks ladies, seems like I see more bad reviews from the lapband and that's what u wanted at first. I can't wait to see how long it will be before we can start talking dates, I know its a process but just not knowing gets to me.
Mom4Jazz
on 7/24/12 9:20 pm
Experience varies widely on this, some of it to do with pain tolerance but some of it to do with how our bodies respond.

I am an absolute wimp regarding pain. Yet when I had a reaction to the vicodin on the last day in the hospital I went home on Extra Strength Tylenol - and only took that a couple of times. I would describe what I felt as more like a pulling discomfort when getting up and down.

The only pain I had was kind of odd. My back muscles were, it turns out, not very strong. When you have abdominal surgery, even laparoscopic, they cut the abdominal muscles and the back muscles have to pick up the slac****il they heal. My back muscles were having none of that extra work, so I had some back aches for a few weeks.

My surgery lasted less than two hours. I was back at work after 2 weeks, though I could have gone sooner I think. I work a desk job.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Crabadams72
on 7/24/12 10:38 pm - Silver Spring, MD
I had minimal pain, but I kept my thumb on that pain pump! I just wanted to be comfy and buzzed in the hospital. (they creep me out)

I was sore for the first 2-3 days like I had done a bunch of crunches. I also had my gallbladder removed as I had some stones. My surgery was 1 1/2 hrs.

I went back to work in 2 1/2 weeks. I was trying to get a lil vacation in there!
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

sam1am
on 7/25/12 3:21 am
I've had my appendix removed, two c-sections and a lap tubal.  This was comparable to the lap tubal and nowhere close to the others.  I found it very easy.  As MomforJazz said, I definitely felt a pull when I got up the first few times, but really no problem.  Was not even sent home with Tylenol and didn't need it anyway.  My surgery took just over an hour and I was off work from my desk job in exactly one week.  Easy peasy, I was lucky.

Best wishes with yours!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active