Help

Teresa N.
on 7/31/12 11:08 am - wabasha, MN
 **Help!**
Ok i had gastric bypass rny surgery done 2 1/2 yrs ago..and iv been getting sick alot after i eat...but i also started metformin last tuesday 850mgs twice a day...today i called the doctor and she dropped to 850mg 1 time a day...and well tonight again..i eat and feel nausted and sick :( do you think its from the metformin or something to do with my rny?!? Any Advice would be Great Thanks!!!

Teresa
mornings
on 7/31/12 11:17 am - Canada
i never had surgery done but  metformin actually made me sick  a few years ago i went dehydrated on it and  i asked to try it again and  im back the same way  with it after taking it for months ,    actually   i dont vomit but i do use the ladies room way to much on it so  i think  very well could be your metformin  but even if its not  if your a diabetic and you been sick like that you really  should  see your family doctor  no matter what   
Teresa N.
on 7/31/12 11:19 am - wabasha, MN
 Thanks you so much! for your advice!

Iv been on metformin before when i was almost 300lbs had no side effects but im 168lbs now and this is horriable!! They put me on it because were trying to conceive and i have pcos!! 
Amy R.
on 7/31/12 12:15 pm
You might check with both your prescribing doc, and also with your bariatric surgeon. Things can happen even 2 years out and if you still aren't keeping things down well after making dose changes or getting used to the med it may well be something physical.

Doubtful, but you are smart to ask the question. Best of luck to you with your baby goals=)
getfitagogo
on 7/31/12 12:50 pm

Met made me super sick, I was taking a higher dose, though.  Uncontrollable, projectile vomiiting for two weeks, and had to go to a different med.  On the plus side, I lost 13 lbs.  No worries though, as I gained 26 back. 

Get Fit A-Go-Go
wannabehealthytoo
on 7/31/12 3:06 pm
On July 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM Pacific Time, Teresa N. wrote:
 **Help!**
Ok i had gastric bypass rny surgery done 2 1/2 yrs ago..and iv been getting sick alot after i eat...but i also started metformin last tuesday 850mgs twice a day...today i called the doctor and she dropped to 850mg 1 time a day...and well tonight again..i eat and feel nausted and sick :( do you think its from the metformin or something to do with my rny?!? Any Advice would be Great Thanks!!!

Teresa
 Hey Teresa!!
I am diabetic and tried the metformin and it made me so sick.  I had to stop it.  It made me throw up, as well as feeling dizzy and other side effects.  I couldn't even drive it was so bad.  It was horrible.  I hope they find something that works for you.  
goddessgrrl
on 7/31/12 3:19 pm - VA
Hi Teresa!

Personally, I don't think Metformin works. Of course I'm not a doctor & you should talk to your doctor about all this. But I was on it for about 6 years & it NEVER worked. It never brought my fasting glucose down to less than 150. My (ex) doc kept increasing the dosage until I was taking 1000mg a day. After a dosage increase, it would make me sick for about a week & then I would be okay.

I would google Metformin so you can inform yourself about the drawbacks & side effects.

I think the best medication to bring down one's blood glucose is insulin. Insulin wasn't my enemy; it saved my life. Talk to your doctor about it.

The night before my RNY, I was taking 90 units of Lantus insulin. The next day I was off insulin completely, with a fasting blood glucose of 127. I now take 10 units of Lantus every night to bring my number down to normal (80 - 90).

Feel free to friend me and/or read my blog for more about my type 2 diabetes & my open RNY.

Best wishes!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

fattynNC
on 8/1/12 1:30 pm
DS on 08/28/12
Metformin is WELL KNOWN to cause gastro problems.   Many people have nausea and diarrhea.  You can always switch to the ER (extended release) version as people tend to have fewer stomach problems with it.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1449 views