Tail bone pain

Paul5678
on 8/13/12 12:53 pm - United Kingdom
I'm 2.5 years postop vsg and 100+pounds lost etc. The fly in my ointment is discomfort from my tail-bone when sitting or driving, and I want to start riding a motorcycle next year! Discomfort turns to pain after 30 minutes sitting. I have a firm cushion with the tail-bone area cut out of it, which helps a bit. I refuse to go down the pain-killer route. Seen a Physio and my GP, only option would be an operation with a poor success rate. Orthopaedic cushions and air cushions are no better than my home made version. Boney knees as well! Especially when sleeping!! Life is such a pain with all this weight loss LOL

I knew about the possibility of this sort of problem before I had the vsg, but that it resolved in the first 18 months to 2 years. Anyone have any ideas or could tell me what works for them? HELP!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 1:09 pm
Hi Paul,
We have a poster on here, Lady Lithia is her screen name who had surgery on her tailbone and she is the one who could tell you all about it.  Contact her.  I am on the west coast here and not sure where Lady Lithia is at without going to her site.  She teaches school so I don't know if she would be home yet.   I too have a problem with my tailbone and have the cushions and the only help to a point.  I have to take pain meds for other pre-existing conditions but man oh man after surgery in May once the weight started coming off, I couldn't sit for more than 15 minutes at a time.  I can do better now, but have to make sure I am up and moving.  Take care!    Jane   P.S.  Don't give up on your motorcycle.  We only go around once.  I come from a family who were race car drivers and motorcycle riders..  My one brother is going to be 64 and he knows he won't be able to ride much longer and it's difficult cause he has many bikes and doesn't want to give up that freedom! 
Paul5678
on 8/14/12 12:04 am - United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply.  I'm not going to have another operation so at worst I'll just have to put up with it.  Next year I'm having a bike, even if I have to get off every 30 minutes or so to walk around!!!
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/13/12 1:35 pm
Hey Paul - long time...
I had the same issue when I lost too much weight.
1-2 year - is was horrible.

I used special pillows, donut pillows, and anything I could think off.
Eventually I start working to develop the bun muscles.  They got bigger, I could sit longer. 

Gaining some weight helped also (if that is an option_ for me it was - I did not like being that "bony")
Chiropractor adjustment also may help. - that spine can be aligned and the pressure more evenly distributed.

A short term solution - padded biker shorts - that you can wear under the pants.   I had one - and used them when I knew I was going to be out and sitting on hard chairs for hrs (like bleacher - stadium) That helped some.

For the knees - a special pillow that you can place between the knees - or even a small - flat pillow. I use all the time - also helps with back - spine alignment.

Hala

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Paul5678
on 8/14/12 12:11 am - United Kingdom
Hi there, long time...
Will try to buy a pair of padded biker shorts this weekend, although it may spoil my profile!?  Gaining weight is unacceptable, my plan is to lose another 10 pounds or so long term...
I normally sleep on my side, but may try to adjust to sleeping on my belly.  Being skinnier is such a pain!  LOL and thanks for the advice.
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/14/12 4:25 pm
well darning - it is time then to work on your gluts... and trust me = they will only improve your side profile.
Time to do squads... with weights.  or ... different type of squats.  lol...

We girls - can appreciate nice buns... I know I do.. he he he..
try small pillow sleeping on your side - like a small travel pillow.  Side sleepers is suppose to be the best for breathing.  I know I snore when I sleep on my back and stomach sleeping twists my spine not in a good way.  (long term back issue).
They sell in US wedge pillows to place between legs.  But when i was my smallest that was not enough - my knee were still resting on each other.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=between+leg+pillow &tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7257569767&hvpos=1t1&hvexi d=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2883634561540706026&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt =b&ref=pd_sl_8i729ipgvk_b

http://www.maxiaids.com/products/11121/In-Between-The-Knee-P illow-Polyurethane-Foam.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=o rganic&utm_campaign=Froogle&idAff=15225&gclid=CIzF3uih6LECFQ P0nAodFkcAnQ

Have fun. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 6:13 pm - WA
 Forgive me if I sound ignorant because I haven't had surgery yet, but I did fall hard on my tailbone while in the hospital after having my last daughter and it took months to heal with a fat ass. LOL 

I hope yours is just your body adjusting to the new pressure points and it will heal itself in time. My tailbone injury was more painful than healing from the c section and respiratory failure that preceeded it that week! No fun. 
Paul5678
on 8/14/12 12:13 am - United Kingdom
No worries,  I think it's been a problem for too long for it to pass, but I'm always hopeful... 
stlfocus
on 8/13/12 6:27 pm - IA
I am about 11 months out and the first 6 months were awful with the sore tailbone.  It has finally quit hurting constantly, but it still flares up when I sit too long.

You might try to chiro route.

Paul5678
on 8/14/12 12:14 am - United Kingdom
Thanks, will read up on chiros. 
Most Active