WLS and kidney stones

sassyscorpio
on 8/30/12 12:24 pm
Are kidney stones more common with people who have had WLS?

I was reading online, and it says it's very common with RNY but I've had the VSG. I know gall stones are common with WLS but I didn't know it's common for kidney stones too.

Mine is very big and is going to require surgery to get it out. I drink a ton of water, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to avoid this in the future. I also read online a high protein diet can cause stones.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

Tammy H.
on 8/30/12 1:19 pm - Greenville, OH
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble...I read online that theres a cranberry tablet/vitamin that you can take daily thats supposed to help with that...I really don't recall much info about it, but it might be something for you to check into...Good luck!!!

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

poet_kelly
on 8/30/12 4:39 pm - OH
On August 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM Pacific Time, sassyscorpio wrote:
Are kidney stones more common with people who have had WLS?

I was reading online, and it says it's very common with RNY but I've had the VSG. I know gall stones are common with WLS but I didn't know it's common for kidney stones too.

Mine is very big and is going to require surgery to get it out. I drink a ton of water, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to avoid this in the future. I also read online a high protein diet can cause stones.
I don't think they are more common, no.  Make sure you're taking calcium citrate, though, not calcium carbonate, because calcium carbonate can cause kidney stones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eggface
on 8/30/12 5:26 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
What is common is not getting in enough water... which you know is the kiss of death for us sufferers. Try never to slack. I do from time to time and I pay for it, curled up fetal position for hours mind blowing pain... you know.

Hope they fix you up and you are feeling 100% again soon.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Dave Chambers
on 8/30/12 5:47 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I have a female friend who had RNY. She told me she had to be hospitalized 2 times with the first 4 months post op. BUT, she also admitted she had trouble with kidney stones prior to surgery.  She seems kidney stone free now, but it requires drinking 2 gallons of water daily. Drink more water. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Ruth S.
on 8/30/12 5:49 pm - Orlando, FL
I have not seen many posts about kidney stones, gallstones yes. I had the RNY and they did tell me I have a small stone in my left kidney but apparently there is no concern at this time. I did have to have my gallbladder taken out though at 1yr postop.  There could be foods that cause kidney stones..not sure for example salt.  I would think it's ridiculous to say that protein causes stones since protein is the building block of rebuilding muscle in our bodies and it's a HUGE factor in weight loss in general - bypass surgeries or not!!  So personally I would NOT believe this. Since you require surgery I'm sure you have or should receive information regarding what causes kidney stones so that you don't get it again..cause that is pain I would not want to get ever again.  It's like child birth - some women experience enough pain they don't have another kid after that...lol...some don't mind having the pain again.
Ruth S.
Valerie G.
on 8/31/12 6:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Kidney stones are most common on those who get dehydrated and take the wrong kind of calcium.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active