For those who had surgery in 2010, how is it going?

Sparklegigi
on 9/6/12 1:45 pm - La Verne, CA
Are you still losing, gaining, staying the same?  I need some secrets to get my 20 lb gain off, besides excercise and protein first!

Ladytazz
on 9/6/12 5:09 pm
I have been the same weight for just over a year now, a real big deal for me since I have never stayed the same weight for any length of time before.  I have to say that it takes a lot of effort though.  So far it doesn't really come naturally.  I am very aware of everything I eat and I have some rules that I follow, such as no sugar and no gluten.  I also avoid impulsive eating.  I plan out most everything, although I maintain flexibility because you can never predict how things go.  I avoid snacking such as sitting down with a bag of chips.  If I do want something like chips I portion out a serving and have it but I don't sit there mindlessly while watching TV or something.  I also make sure that at least 90% of the time my meals and snacks are high protein.  I may have a snack that isn't high protein but no more then one a day.  I also drink at least 100 oz of fluids a day and never drink with meals or 30 minutes afterwards.
I try to avoid the foods and behaviors that helped me get in the position to need WLS in the first place.  I won't say it's a battle but it isn't a no brainer either.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

octoberbabee
on 9/7/12 5:09 am - MD
I had RNY in Feb 2010 and lost 165 lbs.  At this point, I have gained 2-3 lbs, which I am told is nothing to worry about, but I am working to get it off again.  Besides adding exercise and extra protein, I can't think of anything else to do.  I would love to lose another 30 lbs, although my doctor said that isn't really realistic.  If I can keep my weight where it is, I am happy.  
Susan Hayes

Mal
on 9/7/12 5:44 am
 I am happy to say that I am 20 lbs below goal weight and right smack in the middle of my bmi range of normal.  I had a 10 lb. gain recently bu****ched my snacks for about a month and I was able to lose it.  I am very active now but unfortunately due to a back and hip problem, I am unable to exercise regularly at the gym the way I'd like to.  Once I get it under control ( I may need surgery) I will be able to do all the things I would like to again physically.  I block out the awful pain I am in every day because I refuse to just lay around in agony all the time and I think that being active is keeping my weight stable.  

One thing I do since being in maintenance mode is weigh myself every day.  It keeps me in check and if I do see a gain, I watch my food for the day.  

Mallisa

Nell R.
on 9/7/12 6:11 am - Hewitt, TX
I'm still losing, I have about 10 pounds to get to goal. It's slow going of course at this point, the inches are coming off much more so now than the weight but I'll get there.
You might want to back to basics, and see if that will help jumpstart ya.

Laura in Texas
on 9/7/12 7:11 am
At the 2 year mark I had a 10 pound gain. Your honeymoon is over so you are absorbing more of your calories. You either have to eat less or exercise more. Period. Track your food. I love myfitnesspal. There is no easy way to do it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Mary Catherine
on 9/7/12 3:17 pm
 Very slowly if ever.  The 20 pound regain is part of the deal.  Best thing you can do now is weigh daily and fight even a one pound gain.  Try to lose a pound a month.  This is for a lifetime and will not be easy.  The honeymoon is over and the real marriage has begun.

Heather E.
on 9/8/12 8:39 am
I had my DS in February, 2010.  I hit my goal weight of 140 at 9 months out, and held pretty steady between 137-142 over the next year.  About six months ago, I started losing again, and got down to 130 without changing my eating habits or activity level.  I did not want to get any lower than that, so made a concentrated effort to eat more.  I now hover right around 135 for the most part.

I know the "rules" for eating are different with all of the surgery types - for DSers, we have to eat very high protein/moderate to high fat/low carbs for optimal weightloss/maintenance/health, also keeping in mind that we are all individuals and should base our intake on our own personal lab results.  I drink three to four protein coffees per day @ approximately 50g of protein each because I  am what I consider a "super-malabsorber" when it comes to protein.  After that, I pretty much eat whatever I want because I know I've met my protein needs for the day.  However, I try to avoid foods that cause me GI distress, like highly-processed carbs, and I am lactose-intolerant.  So my food choices reflect that:  I eat mainly protein and complex carbs, and make sure I'm taking Lactaid if I'm going to eat any high-lactose foods.

As far as exercise, I'll be completely honest:  I don't do any formal exercise at all.  I do, however, have a very physically-demanding job that requires me to walk, lift, and carry for ten to twelve hours a day, five days a week. 

I don't know that there are any "secrets" to my weightloss and maintenance success, other than I have just really paid attention to what my body needs, and I do what works.  I check my weight a couple of times a week to ensure that I'm staying within the range that I feel comfortable with.  If I see an increase that I'm not happy about, I make modifications to what I'm eating.  Usually by the next week, I'm back to where I want to be.  I love my DS!

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

venusdoll
on 9/9/12 1:56 pm - massena, NY
i had my ds in dec 2010 i actully lost too much weight im 5ft 2 and went down to 94lbs. my  dr panicked and had me eat every 2 hours carbs sugar anything  now ive gain too much weight and am still gaining im at 130 right now which is too much for my frame i should be around 110 but ive streched mt stomach and am completely addicted to carbs . i know i need to get away from them but it is so hard im not good at dieting. i am working out pretty good.  annette  oh and i can drink wine and love it so thats not helping either
KathyA999
on 9/9/12 6:34 pm
I've gained seven lbs from my rock-bottom of 132, so I'm at 139 right now.  My comfort zone is 133-135, so I'm trying to get back down to that point.  I felt "bullet-proof" there for a while, like I could eat anything and not gain weight.  But learned that I tend to gain if calories get higher than about 1300, I assume I've screwed up my metabolism by lifelong dieting and the surgery so that my body is very efficient at metabolizing every calorie it gets.  My hunger doesn't allow me to keep calories at 600-800 like in the early days out, but I can do about 1000-1100, which I'm doing right now, to lose these 4 lbs.  Then I'll move to about 1200-1300.

I do stay pretty low carb.  I snack on crisp bacon, ribs, cheese and nuts mostly, and don't really let any kind of carb (except what's in Premier protein, nuts, dairy and veg's) pass my lips.  It works for me, and I feel pretty happy these days.

An interesting thing I realized recently is that, before surgery my inner life was focused on how fat I was, and how that impacted my relationships and transactions in the world.  It was the "color" of my every waking moment.  Well, it's still true - only now, my interior thought processes are about how thin I am, and whether people notice that.  Haha, self absorbed much?  Sheesh.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active