Pre-op Diet

leolady12
on 9/7/12 4:19 pm
RNY on 10/01/12
Hello. Do all patients get put on a pre op diet prior to surgery? My surgery date is 10/1/12 and my physical, etc, is 9/17/12 and I am just wondering if my diet will change when I go for my appointment on 9/17/12 or if it will stay the same as it has been until surgery.

southernlady5464
on 9/7/12 4:25 pm
Nope, not everyone gets the same diet, even if they have the same surgeon and surgeons are all over the place.

I was told NOT to lose a thing...no diet at all pre-op except for the mandatory not eating 12 hours before a surgery that a hospital tells ALL patients. And no liquids after midnight type thing...that was my entire pre-op diet.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

NomieRebecca
on 9/7/12 9:55 pm - Lindale, TX
VSG on 09/25/12
 I think it comes down to your current health and your BMI. My surgeon has me on a High Protein/Low Carb diet for 2 weeks before surgery. It's not an all liquid diet, but he has encouraged me to drink protein shakes a lot and so much water I feel like puking lol

but ya, there are some that are lucky enough to not have pre-op diets and some unlucky enough that they have to be on strict LIQUID pre-op diets for a couple of weeks.

If your surgeon puts you on a diet, just remember, the diet is your first feel test. If you can't handle the changes now, you're about to waste a **** load of money on surgery. Just keep your chin up and stay strong. It will be over before you know it :D

time2changeme
on 9/8/12 3:15 pm
Since my BMI is so high it sounds like Im looking at 6 weeks of optifast, the only other thing l can have is 2 cups of black tea daily.  I think its different for everyone.
Most Active