Per-Op Jitters

Addie C.
on 9/21/12 7:21 am - TX
VSG on 10/01/12
 So as i am making my list for the store for my per-op food and reading post preparing for this life changing journey I am about to take. Reality hit me like a ton of bricks(surgery is in a week will Oct 1st). Not the 7 visits I have, had to the dietion and Dr. I have been doing better on eating, did have a few funeral meals (since it will be a while before I can eat whole foods) like sushi and pizza. With the pizza It was funeral food cause I really don't want to eat it like I use to anyway. Breads were my weakness but , with lots of pray and good friends I have lost the desire for it and sodas. Now I am praying for the strength to withstand the food I will have to cook for the family while I per-op. My wonderful husband has said he will eat what I eat at home(his surgery is Oct 17) He is a protein man and can handle the per-op he did protein and shakes over a year ago and lost 100lbs but it didn't stay off with in a 1 1/2year  it was back with friends.So here I sit nervous and excite with tears of i don't know what(plus I am an emotion basket case from premenstrual on top of that) I Call my husband in tears laughing and he was like you okay?! With a little encouraging chat,Now I feel much more calmer and ready to jump in and start the race to the finish line. Looking forward to being sleeved and healthy again! I miss being Sporty Spice!lol i use to be so athletic, I do have a group of teenage girls who homeschool and want me to teach them for volleyball and tennis. Cause I have been on them about not being lazy and get fat like I did. I am looking forward to that.

How did any of you handle your per-op diet jitters?

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/12 7:44 am - NJ
Hi Addie,
Preoperational anxiety is a universal reaction experienced by patients who are admitted to the hospital for surgery, or are scheduled for an upcoming medical procedure. This is not uncommon.

Here are some alleviation and prevention techniques recommended to patients who are scheduled for surgery.

1. preoperative patient teaching
  2. patient support groups
  3. accurate and thorough information about the operation
  4. relaxation therapy
  5. cognitive behavioural therapy
  6. acupressure
  7. auricular acupuncture
  8. permitting family members to be present before the operation
  9. anti-anxiety medication
  10. nurse-patient relationships
  11. A visit from the anaesthestist preoperatively

I hope this information is useful to you and others who are experienceing pre-op jitters. Best of luck to you!

Addie C.
on 9/21/12 1:27 pm - TX
VSG on 10/01/12
 Thanks very informative! Most of it I have done are doing, no acupuncture scared of needles even though I believe it's not the same just scary.lol 

SandieMc49
on 9/21/12 7:48 am

I just kept my "eye on the prize".  Let go of the things you can't control - and concentrate on the things you can. 

If you think it may help - start a count-down diary.  Do as much "pre-shopping" as you can before your surgery (food for the family).  If you have time, freeze as many meals as you can.  Does your family like chili?  You can make crock pot soups and freeze them. 

Set it up so that you have the time YOU need to take care you!  If neighbors or friends volunteer to help with shopping, housework, meals, etc. - be sure to take them up on that!!

Keep busy doing small projects that you have been putting off.  It will pass the time and give you a great sense of accomplishment and empowerment.  Go through your medicine cabinet and throw away out-dated items. 

When was the last time you changed around your bathroom curtains and rugs?  You can do that inexpensively - get creative with things you have around the house. 

Shop for upcoming holidays - it's not too early.  What are you waiting for - get goin'!  And all the best to you!

Sandie

Addie C.
on 9/21/12 1:33 pm - TX
VSG on 10/01/12
 Thanks Sandie great idea "get going"! I have just done alot of shopping was at walmart from 9:30am til 2:17pm. lol Getting my pre-op and crockpot meals for the family. I do have some rearranging to do so I guess I better jump to it!
Addie

SandieMc49
on 9/21/12 1:39 pm
Addie - I love your attitude!  Please make sure you come back and post here after your surgery and let us know how you are doing.  And feel free to PM me anytime.

All the best to you, girl!

Sandie
Addie C.
on 9/21/12 1:44 pm - TX
VSG on 10/01/12
 Thanks I will be back! I am really looking forward to the app for my phone they are talking about! Thanks for listening and being here.

Paul Carrick
on 9/21/12 9:03 am, edited 9/21/12 2:04 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
Addie:

I'm 3 weeks post op myself.

I think you have the right idea... prayer helped a lot in all areas fears and strength. Being honest and open with my firends and family and looking for support where I could find it (like here). I love one quote my surgeon gave me "I want you to be 90% exicted and 10% anxious." I was.

I love sushi . My last meal before surgery was Sashimi (I couldn't have the rice because of my pre-op diet).

I understand about the cooking part. I'm the cook in my family (how do you think I go here ?) My first big meal that I cooked was Rack of Lamb for my daughters birthday only a week after surgery. My wife is also supportive and that's very important (she said basically the same thing as your husband) .

Simple carbs are my Achillie's Heal as well. I really haven't been craving them though (too hard to just get the protien in).

It's nice you're both getting the surgery. My wife's waiting to see how I do before she goes for it.

As for exercise, it's been wonderful to be able to walk again. I did a 3 mile walk around a lake last weekend and it was fantastic.

Hang in there. It will change your life.

God Bless and Good Luck.

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

Addie C.
on 9/21/12 1:41 pm - TX
VSG on 10/01/12
 Thanks Paul very encouraging to hear from you. i do look forwarded to a Looooooong walk.lol I think I am more excited than anything. 8 years ago my whole life changed when I gave my heart to the Lord. I believe He is giving me a nother chance again at an even better life again. He is awesome!

Paul Carrick
on 9/21/12 7:14 am, edited 9/21/12 7:16 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
 I've gota say amen to that. I would not be where I am without Him. Yes, He is awesome. 

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

Most Active