Surgery Options

sancie_67
on 11/6/12 12:20 am - Bombay, NY

I thought I had decided upon the sleeve, but I've been having an awful lot of heartburn lately.  I've read that this is worse with the sleeve.  Now I'm thinking RNY might be a better option for me.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/6/12 4:00 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Heartburn and reflux can be controlled with a PPI. And it is most certainly not automatic that you will have it worse or at all post VSG. Have a look in my profile/blog where I have an entry about why I chose the sleeve.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jilly Bean
on 11/6/12 4:58 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

After my RNY my reflux went away immediately.  It's been heavenly.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

sancie_67
on 11/6/12 5:40 am - Bombay, NY

Thank you both!

I've been following your posts closely wantmylife.  Your username really sums up how I feel right now.

I thnk it would be wonderful not to have to deal with that horrible burning sensation that's been waking me up at night lately.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/6/12 5:53 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I should change my user name now to Havemylife!!!

Seriously! I feel reborn. Full of energy and free of the food slavery. Relief in every way! Now about that reflux, take something!! Try over the counter first and if its a no go then ask your doc for Nexium or another PPI. You might also have a hiatal hernia which could also be an indication of reflux. I had one that my surgeon repaired during the sleeve surgery.

Also try not eating within three hrs of going to bed. And prop your upper body with pillows so that you are sitting and sleeping slightly reclined rather than laying flat.

Don't suffer in silence!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MsBatt
on 11/6/12 5:11 am

The RNY has long been considered the go-to surgery for acid reflux---but I see an awful lot of people with an RNY who take PPIs every day.  I had the DS, which means I have a Sleeved stomach, and in the nearly 9 years since surgery, my acid reflux has been completely GONE.

You need to compare all the pros and cons, not just one. Is having a greater chance of getting rid of your heartburn worth the risk of dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia?

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/6/12 8:18 am
I did not have acid issue before RNY. But post op RNY I am on daily OTC antacid and some days have to use 2 - when my pouch gets irritated or in pain (possible ulcers).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

beanybaby
on 11/7/12 5:24 am

I had the DS, so my stomach is a sleeve, but my heartburn and reflux are gone since my surgery. Not one episode.

I think my reflux was due to my obesity, so just losing weight can resolve that.

Most Active