Back problems after Rny surgery

leolady12
on 12/9/12 7:55 am
RNY on 10/01/12
Hi. I had the Rny surgery on 10/1. As soon as I started walking for exercise, I had back pain, which shoots into my leg. I have been going to the chiropractor and was advised that when gaining or losing weight, it can cause back pain. Did anyone go through this and how long did it take to get better?

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/12 10:10 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I have heard the same thing. I am sure you chiropractor has taken xrays to be sure there is nothing wrong so it is likely just the redistribution of weight. 

Dave Chambers
on 12/9/12 12:01 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Your body is adjusting to the wt loss. You may experience some shoulder pain, have minor issues with balance at times, have to "re learn" posture, etc.  If you haven't gotten a good mattress lately, you may find relief from getting one now.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Michael L.
on 12/9/12 7:43 pm - Fall River, MA
I had the sleeve and when I five weeks the same thing happened. My insurance won't cover a chiropractor so I had no choice but physical therapy. I'm now 2 months out and it's getting no better. But I'm afraid to stop exercising. And lose momentum.

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

leolady12
on 12/9/12 7:50 pm
RNY on 10/01/12
What types of exercises are you doing?

jmjm55077
on 12/9/12 11:46 pm - MN

I had balance issues after losing weight...had to work on what my center of gravity was now instead of 100 pounds ago...that may or may not be affecting your back along with increase mobility. Good luck!

jane   

Kim S.
on 12/10/12 1:29 am - Helena, AL

I remember having pain in my tail bone after I lost a lot of weight, but that went away in about a month.  I do remember sciatica flaring up often during that first year, but regular exercise helped that...especially yoga.

Carol S.
on 12/10/12 7:53 am - Milwaukee, WI

I wish more people had talked about the back pain when I was going in for surgery.

Yes, and the best thing I did was work on my core muscles.  

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Nutmegger
on 12/10/12 10:35 am
If you have pain going into your leg, it is your sciatic nerve. When you have a bulging disc it presses on the sciatic nerve that runs from your lower back, across your bum, then down your leg on each side.

Speaking from experience, please consult with a orthopedic doctor in addition to your chiro. An MRI will quickly identify the degree of your disk issue. You may need to rest it, but left untreated if it worsens it can become herniated and worst case scenario cause nerve damage (this is what happened to me).

Sorry for the extreme scenario, but please take care of your back, it supports you!
gaiagal
on 12/12/12 8:53 am - WA
On December 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM Pacific Time, Nutmegger wrote:
If you have pain going into your leg, it is your sciatic nerve. When you have a bulging disc it presses on the sciatic nerve that runs from your lower back, across your bum, then down your leg on each side.

Speaking from experience, please consult with a orthopedic doctor in addition to your chiro. An MRI will quickly identify the degree of your disk issue. You may need to rest it, but left untreated if it worsens it can become herniated and worst case scenario cause nerve damage (this is what happened to me).

Sorry for the extreme scenario, but please take care of your back, it supports you!

I absolutely agree with nutmegger ....you have sciatica, which is a pinched nerve. If you don't start feeling better soon make an appt. with your pcp for an MRI because you might have a problem with one of your discs. I've had 2 major back surgeries and one an emergency because I waited too long to seek treatment (I was an extreme case). A chiro can't help a herniated disc. I'm not trying to be a downer....just take good care of your back :) Hope you feel better soon!

Most Active