miserable!

frantex361
on 1/6/13 1:01 pm

my surgery was on 12-17-12, nothing is as i expected. i feel miserable, depressed, sick, frustrated & lazy ALL the time. i am not on vitamins, have been unable to find the correct combination of dose & chewable or otherwise. been to 3 GNC's with list of vitamins needed from dr's office and no success. please advise....! regretting surgery!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/6/13 9:25 pm - Burleson, TX

FRAN-by my calculations you at around the 3-4 week post op mark...historically the WORST time, for most of us..not sure WHY..it just is..the "what the hell have I done" stage...I promise promise promise it will get better !!!!

Ok..miserable..Are you in PAIN, or just UNCOMFORTABLE from gas/still healing surgical incisions/etc? Was your surgery "open" or "lap"?

Sick..nausea? What are you eating/drinking? Are you getting enough FLUIDS in? UBER important-more important than anything...Dehydration can kill you--plain and simple

Depressed..of course..your whole life has turned upside down..be kind and try to be patient with yourself..talk to yourself the way you would talk to your BFF, is he/she were in your shoes

Frustrated..well..duh..look at all you are going thru..and going to 3 GNCs for vitamins? Oh hell no..what is on your list? I'd be happy to share my vitamin regime with you-most of which I catch on sale at Wal-Mart/Walgreen's/etc..the only thing I normally buy online is my iron..and I can't remember the last thing I bought at GNC (nothing against GNC products-just too much $$, for me)..I'm 10+ years RNY and have had ALOT of peeps help me thru the vitamin maze, over the years, and still learn new things all the time

Lazy...NO NO NO NO...take that word out of your vocabulary..You have had MAJOR surgery, with ANESTHESIA, and that takes more of a toll on your body for a much longer time than peeps seem to realize (35 yr nurse here)..again, try to be kind and patient with yourself, and your new body..as kind as you would be to a newborn baby

Since "tex" is part of your screen name I'm guessing you are from Tx? If so, what part? Perhaps I can hook you up with some local, "in person" help/support

Again--it WILL get better, and these crappy days/weeks will just be some crappy memories!!

Looking forward to hearing back from you..

Gina

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Valerie G.
on 1/6/13 10:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I shake my head when I read about people up and running and returning to work after only a couple of weeks.  I was extremely listless for a good 6 weeks post op, and my recovery was considered an easy one with no problems at all.  Allow yourself this recovery time, drink 64oz daily or you'll feel worse, and work those vitamins in a little at a time.  That's the only job you have right now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southernlady5464
on 1/6/13 11:24 pm
On January 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM Pacific Time, frantex361 wrote:

my surgery was on 12-17-12, nothing is as i expected. i feel miserable, depressed, sick, frustrated & lazy ALL the time. i am not on vitamins, have been unable to find the correct combination of dose & chewable or otherwise. been to 3 GNC's with list of vitamins needed from dr's office and no success. please advise....! regretting surgery!

GNC will NOT have what you need. Vitamin Shoppe has some of it. Vitalady is a MUCH better source along with her list of what you need.

I don't know which surgery you had but given who your surgeon is, I'm guess the DS is NOT one of the options.

Here is Vitalady's lists, target numbers, labs, etc:

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaladysPre-op_i deas_11-2009.doc

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaLadysLabsandT argets_11-2009.doc

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramPRNY2-2010 .pdf

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramAGB&VSG2-2 010.pdf

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramChewable2- 2010.pdf

You are still early out and feeling miserable is normal. Depression, maybe light therapy (SAD) or get with a counselor/therapist, sick & frustrated...yeah, it's normal. Lazy, I beg to differ...you ARE HEALING from major surgery. Sipping/Walking/RESTING is your primary job right now.

I was almost 8 weeks out before feeling normal and my surgery was as uncomplicated as they come.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/8/13 3:05 am - Burleson, TX

SL--VERY well said!!! Vitalady's iron is the ONLY one I can take-and have for years--it kept me from having to go on iron infusions..I just ordered the powdered Vit D, as my last labs showed my D just refused to stay up beyond "borderline normal"--and we all should WE ARE NOT NORMAL RANGE LAB PEEPS...sigh...

When I told the OP she could get basic vits at WalMart, etc I was trying to help her not stress so much, and get something in her. I do get my chewable VitC there-and usually B12, but most everything else comes from Michelle

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

AnnaFrahm
on 1/7/13 3:13 am - MN

Honey I feel you!  My surgery was 12/15, I have been re-hospitalized twice, and am at the tail end of what I can handle!  You are NOT alone feeling the way you are.  I have dealt with dehydration, an ulcer, dry heaves for hours, depression, listlessness, and having a terrible time getting meds in, let alone so much liquid!  And now my surgeon says a bunch of it is in my head :(  I totally regret surgery, and no matter what people tell me, I can't believe it will get better.  Right now I wish I could drink, wish I would feel better, wish this would all go away!  You are NOT alone!

frantex361
on 1/8/13 12:51 am

oh my gosh, im so sorry to hear of all the complications! i feel bad for complaining about my "feeling". im sorry to hear you have been hospitalized twice. i really hope you can completely overcome these complications and began to move forward. i began feeling better today since yesterday i started my vitamins. i still am lacking vit d & iron but today i will go find those in a nearby city. i would like to invite you to keep in touch, my email is [email protected], on facebook francis soliz. please let me know about your progress.

AnnaFrahm
on 1/8/13 1:39 am - MN

We all have issues after surgery... Never feel bad about venting- we all need to do it at times!  My email is [email protected]

jewel8023
on 1/7/13 5:44 am

I had my surgery on Nov 8, 2012 and felt the same way. As of today I feel so much better but I am still don't have as much energy but I am pushing myself.  As far as vitamins go I am taking Flintstones chewable with iron. Sound crazy at 41 to be taking Flintstones but my doctor said we can take them and they provide the same amount  of vitamins as adult multi vitamins. I am taking spring valley B12 500 mg and additional Iron because my Iron is super low.( These vitamins are real small so you don't have to worry about them getting stuck in your throat and I got them from walmart). I know some people who are getting B12 shots but I havent looked into that yet.  I also take calcuim citrate with vitamin D(chewable vanilla flavor). 

Don't give up you will be fine once you can get your vitamin situation under control. I hope this helps.

southernlady5464
on 1/7/13 5:47 am
On January 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM Pacific Time, jewel8023 wrote:

I had my surgery on Nov 8, 2012 and felt the same way. As of today I feel so much better but I am still don't have as much energy but I am pushing myself.  As far as vitamins go I am taking Flintstones chewable with iron. Sound crazy at 41 to be taking Flintstones but my doctor said we can take them and they provide the same amount  of vitamins as adult multi vitamins. I am taking spring valley B12 500 mg and additional Iron because my Iron is super low.( These vitamins are real small so you don't have to worry about them getting stuck in your throat and I got them from walmart). I know some people who are getting B12 shots but I havent looked into that yet.  I also take calcuim citrate with vitamin D(chewable vanilla flavor). 

Don't give up you will be fine once you can get your vitamin situation under control. I hope this helps.

Your doctor is NOT smart...Flintstones is for kids, NOT adults. Check them against Centrum Multi which is the start of what you need to be taking...you need to supplement ABOVE an adult multi according to your lab work.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active