When did you share your plans for WLS with friends and family?

redviking
on 1/22/13 7:38 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I'm going for my Orientation in about 3 weeks. I'm super excited but so far, I've only told my sister of my intention to have WLS. 

I'm kind of thinking I won't tell them until a couple days before the surgery.  I guess I'm concerned they will try to talk me out it or judge me for what they perceive as taking the easy way out. 

How did your friends and family react when you told them?

uveaprettyface
on 1/22/13 8:21 am
VSG on 03/22/13

I am towards the end my pre-op insurance process and I have told only 2 people.  I had spoken to people about surgery a few years ago and I felt people were not supportive.  I don't want to deal with that now. I have to focus on what is good for me. 

Valerie G.
on 1/22/13 8:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was pretty open all around at home and work.  I got only a couple of negative comments, but I'm too stubborn to be swayed once I make up my mind.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathkeb
on 1/22/13 10:11 am

Except for my husband and one close friend, I did. It tell anyone until after my surgery.

I told close friends and siblings a few weeks afterwards.  Everyone was very supportive ..... And I did not have to listen to their opinions since it was already done.

Kath

raincloud
on 1/22/13 10:47 am, edited 1/22/13 10:48 am

I am having mine soon. I told the people I am closest to and a few coworkers. Some people I told they acted like I was in a phase and was going to screw up my body but I held firm and I gave them very good information and that helped a lot.

I think this issue has a lot to do with guilt, shame, and maybe for some jealousy. If people really think it's the "easy way out", and for some reason they don't think I deserve to ease my suffering, or get healthier in an "easy way" then they can kiss my butt. I don't need them. That's how I feel now.

MsBatt
on 1/22/13 11:41 am

LOL---I told strangers standing in line at Wal-Mart! Still do, actually. (*grin*)

SandieMc49
on 1/22/13 8:41 pm

I told the whole world practically!  For three key reasons:

1.  I let them know I was doing this for my health and that their support was important to me.  If people know you as a strong person before your surgery, they'll likely feel comfortable with your decision.

2.  I never wanted anyone to think I was sick.  I've always been an open, approachable person and I didn't want anyone to shy away from me after seeing the obvious weight loss.  I just thought it would have been cruel of me to allow anyone to think or worry that I was sick.

3.  I was willing to take on the banner of "WLS Poster Child" - to speak up and take, albeit, small steps in an effort to bring WLS something to be proud about rather than something to apologize for.

This is just my opinion - it is so freeing to not have to make up a story about the sudden weight loss.  People were comfortable in approaching and encouraging me and I know it was totally the right decision for me.  BUT, that openness may not be for everyone.  So, good luck in whatever you decide.  You are on your way to awesomeville!

Sandie

TXKashmir
on 1/22/13 11:38 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

angry What a terrific answer! You are my new hero!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

JA
on 1/23/13 12:19 am - East Haven, CT

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!  Secondly, tell whoever you want whenever you want.  There are still people in my life, who do not know I had the surgery (LAP RNY) 8.5 years ago.  I felt the need to share this information with my family and close friends only.  The only time I break my rule is if I meet someone who is considering the surgery and talks about it.  It's as personal as having a "face lift" , in my opinion (LOL).

Good luck!  See you on the "other side" soon!

JA

PS All of my friends and family that I did tell were very supportive, but some of them STILL don't understand how I have to live my life in order to maintain my weight loss.

kc82
on 1/23/13 12:21 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

I'm still in the early stages, but so far I've told my immediate family, as well as a few friends. I do wish I would have waited though because I've gotten plenty of negative feedback. But like the quote on my page says:

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Most Active