do anyone know is Medicaid still covers the wls

jfree1021
on 2/11/13 4:18 am - athens, AL
Let me know
ChristineB
on 2/11/13 5:25 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

I will fully admit right up front that I do not know much about Medicaid. I do believe that Medicaid is handled on a state level. Have you posted this question on your state board as well?

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

jfree1021
on 2/11/13 5:34 am - athens, AL
Thank u for your fast response but to answer no I have not um I called Medicaid and asm them they said the doctor would have to submit a letter along with a code and the letter has to state reason why I need it
poet_kelly
on 2/11/13 6:38 am - OH

That sounds like they cover it then.  Medicaid varies from state to state and in some states, there are different Medicaid policies that people may have, so you need to check with the Medicaid office in your state to see what your plan covers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 2/11/13 6:38 am

With a BMI of 58.2, I don't think you'll have any trouble geting approved. However, which forms of WLS Medicaid will cover varies from state to state.

jfree1021
on 2/11/13 7:03 am - athens, AL
Yes thats what I ask her and she kept saying your doctor has to submit a letter so I was feeling like u I guess they do take it
MrsLitch
on 2/12/13 6:17 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

my daughter had her primary care dr submit the referral for which type of surgery she wanted. He asked her if she wanted the lap band or rny. I don't know if those are the only 2 hers covers but the options she was given. She had him refer her for RNY and we'll go from their with the bariatric doctor.

Each state is different and she's with a Managed care co. that took over IL medicaid, they are in several states under different names the parent name is Centene.

Good Luck

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Melissa Nicely
on 2/11/13 9:32 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

It varies from state to state and also a lot of states have people pick an HMO. In those cases it depends on which HMO you choose. Ohio offers 3 HMO's and only one of them covers WLS. Your best bet would be to contact the surgeon you are interested in using, their insurance agent should know more about it. That is what I did, it's easier getting an answer from the surgeon's office then it was from the insurance companies.

jfree1021
on 2/11/13 9:57 am - athens, AL
Hmo? Where do i get that info at
jfree1021
on 2/12/13 6:22 am - athens, AL
Well im thankful he said he would write the letter soooooo im just waiting
Most Active