whey protein "shots" Thoughts??

EricaLMartin
on 2/13/13 7:24 am - MA
VSG on 01/30/13

Hey everyone, I was sleeved on 1/30/13..So I'm 2 weeks out today! kiss  I'm wondering what people think about the protein shots out there, I purchased 6 of them to use for emergency use. They are 43g protein, but pack a whooping 180 cal. I would only use them if I lost track of time & needed to get the protein in before the day is over. They say good for WLS on the bottles. I've heard mixed reviews on if we should use them...anyone with positive experiences out there? Or try to avoid them. (also being new, feel free to add me as a friend. I'm here to learn from vets & to go through this with others like me that are new to the surgery & journey. Thanks!)

tgs1420
on 2/13/13 7:38 am - WI

I think $3.00 is alot. Pour a scoop of Protien in a 20 oz. bottle carry it with you add water and shake, 30 grams of protein !

walterswife
on 2/13/13 7:59 am

The ones I have tasted were pretty nasty.   Fortunately, i have not had to use them in almost three years. For emergencies they aren't terrible but they are pricey.   Most of them are not made from the best protein source so you should read the labels closely. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

hollykim
on 2/13/13 8:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Most of them are crap,esp the ones made from collagen protein. it is not a complete protein and poorly absorbed. You might as well save your money. as to buy them.

gl

debiosbo
on 2/13/13 8:10 am - WA
VSG on 02/06/13

I'm like you but newer 2/6 I looked at those but didn't buy this early out the 180 cal. would not bother me so much we are not eating much so cals. are not a problem YET...  reason I did not buy one is we are to try to get protein isolate not protein blends, isolate/blends our bodies use the protein isolate in a much better way (I need to look it up again and do my research and you the same) but for an emergency those sure would work only buy one till you try it.. my best trick is to add extra unflav. protein to a RTD  protein, so I only have to drink 1/2 as much liquid so then I have more room for water, Debi   I would love to add you as a friend

poet_kelly
on 2/13/13 8:57 am - OH

Most of them only contain a little bit of whey isolate and are mostly collagen protein, which is made by boiling the skin and hooves of horses, cows and pigs.  It's an incomplete protein and is absorbed really poorly.

Bariatric Advantage sells a brand called Yes Whey, which is the only one I know of that is is all whey protein.  If you want a shot, that would be the one to get.

However, if you want a small amount of liquid with a lot of protein that doesn't taste very good, you can make your own shots.  Just put a scoop of protein powder in three ounces of liquid and chug it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

EricaLMartin
on 2/13/13 9:52 pm - MA
VSG on 01/30/13

Wow, interesting info. Thank you everyone for your input! I'm also a vegetarian, so the only animal protein I'm willing to consume is the whey. Thanks for saving me there! :)

neisie207
on 2/14/13 3:27 am - Waterville, ME
RNY on 01/28/13

I personally used them PRE surgery ... I bought the Acia Berry, Water mellon & grape  43g protein I also bought the fruit punch 26g ... I was sick to my stomach with the traditional protein powder mix and needed to meet my goals daily so in the morning I'd slam a 43g one (VERY SWEET & SOUR at the same time) and thick OMG YUCK but it worked .... Evening I'd do the other one and boom my goal was met :) Now almost 3 weeks post op my Dr took me off shakes and told me to get my protein goal met through food due to shakes giving me diarea ...  So hey if they work for you, do them protein is protein and no matter how you get it in as long as you get it in is good :) Not sure if this helps or not ...

Amy R.
on 2/14/13 7:24 am

Hi Erica.

For the first couple of years post-op I absolutely hated every protein powder/shake I tried, so I made my own "shots'.  What I would do is mix my protein powder with an ounce or two of really cold water - just enough to make it a liquid - then down it in 2 or 3 swallows.  It was the only way I could get the required 80 to 120 mg of protein into my system.  Everything just tasted so nasty.

Don't have to do that anymore, thanks to someone giving me the advice I personally needed in order to make an awesome protein shake and the fact that I don't need as much protein from powders anymore.

The shots from the store are a total waste of your money if you are an RnY post-op.  As others have said, the collagen protein is useless for us.  Preferably we use a whey protein isolate, although some use soy and some even egg white.

Anywho, hope you find what works for you.  Best of luck to you on your journey.

EricaLMartin
on 2/14/13 10:00 am - MA
VSG on 01/30/13

Thank you girls! All info & opinions are valid here..thank u for your time :)))

Most Active