Vegetables

michaela67
on 3/2/13 1:18 am

I am one month out and I am desiring some veggies maybe steamed on the grill.  Are there any veggies I should stay away from?? Any veggies you suggest for the grill??

stlfocus
on 3/2/13 2:01 am - IA

I don't eat corn or potatoes for the same reason I avoid bread - too many carbs. Plus they are too filling and I can't get the protein in.  But even though they fill me up, they don't stay with me and I get hungry a lot sooner than if I had eaten protein.

If I have room for veggies, it will be broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, which I feel give me more nutrition than the starchy ones. 

I still go for the dense protein first.  Sometimes I have room for the vegetables, a lot of time not.  I often sautee onions with my meat or chicken and that fills me up.

Squash is good on the grill.  You have a lot of choices, but at one month out I would focus more on the protein because you don't have a lot of room in your stomach.

megs617
on 3/2/13 2:22 am

I am a month out too, and I have been dying for veggies.  Yesterday was my first attempt at broccoli.  That went down just fine--I just ate REALLY slow. A few days ago, I had some grilled squash, and that too was just fine.  For lunch, I made a batch of veggie soup, with spinach, canned tomatoes, carrots and cannolini beans.  All of these seem to be ok with me so far.  No problems.  Hope you can find something that will work for you! 

michaela67
on 3/2/13 2:31 am

I had gastric bypass

Eggface
on 3/2/13 3:53 am, edited 3/2/13 3:53 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Loved zucchini. Grilled... was yum. Want it to be protein packed too try this: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/05/who-n eeds-pasta-pasta-less-manicotti.html

Carrots were a first, zucchini and summer squash sauteed and sprinkled with Parmesan, cucumbers (my crackers), roasted eggplant is super soft.

Avoid broccoli ouch.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

stlfocus
on 3/2/13 4:01 am - IA

Funny how people are different.  Broccoli doesn't bother me a bit.

stephanieplum
on 3/2/13 5:13 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Looks delicious!!!  

Valerie G.
on 3/2/13 4:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I recommend that you cook them to the point of being overcooked by many standards, so they are good and soft.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathleen W.
on 3/3/13 3:26 am - Lancaster, PA

Ok, here's a quick recipe.  Over cook some broccoli,  Take 75% of it and a can of low fat/sodium chicken stock and put it into a blender of make almost soupy.  Put in a container and mix rest of the broccoli. 

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active