13 months out, goal weight met...BUT MY EATING IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!

BrandNewKimmie
on 3/5/13 9:58 am
RNY on 02/21/12

The past month has been rough! I've gotten off of my routine and have been indulging in all of the bad things, pizza, chips, sweets, etc...the turning point came when I had a deathly allergic reaction to almonds last week. I've completely cut all nuts out of my diet along with all chocolate. I've been slowly trying to detox from all the other junk food.

I found that around December, my body was craving more food. I slowly started to dabble in new foods realizing that I could tolerate them. I'm not gaining any weight thank God, I just feel so bloated when eating these things. Any suggestions on how to get back on track?

Is it safe to fast for a few days, just liquids? Any suggestions on any fasts that I can try?

Thanks in advance. 

JJ_
on 3/5/13 10:46 am

Please do not fast.  That sets up a vicious cycle of eating - not-eating.  Go back to basics in your food plan.  Protein first, then veggies.  Fruit for a snack.  Three small meals and 2-3 snacks.  Get all your vitamins and fluid in.

Good luck.

Judy

Diabolique
on 3/5/13 2:47 pm - Las Vegas, NV
RNY on 09/19/12

I think its great that you noticed that the food was creeping back in and decided to make some positive changes.

blandy
on 3/5/13 8:04 pm

I agree that it's great you were able to recognize this. it's so easy to go back to our old ways. Keep up the good work!!

HW: 268  SW: 243  GW: 150

Laura in Texas
on 3/5/13 10:03 pm

Remind yourself that although you are maintaining now, you are still in the honeymoon phase and if you do not get it back under control, you will gain all of your weight back. Period.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AdeanaMarie
on 3/5/13 10:30 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Fasting has been done for centuries for many varying reasons.  If you feel you need to do a day or two liquid fast, just make sure you are getting adequate liquid and calories.  A protein drink fast can help refresh your stomach perspective and make you realize you can live without food.  But as stated above, just make sure it does not become a vicious cycle.

Tracking your food will help you get back on track as well.  Try myfitnesspal.com or one of their apps.

Blessings on your journey and great job getting to goal.  Maintenance, I hear, is a whole other ball game.  If you feel out of control, try meeting with a counselor and nutritionist.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Hollyanimal
on 3/5/13 11:54 pm - WI
Once I started adding in bad carbs at about one year out I really began to struggle and gained 18 pounds in 4 months. I had to do something drastic, so I cut most carbs out of my diet. It was a miracle, I lost my ravenous appetie and the constant thoughts about food. I've been doing it for 3 months, have lost my regain and feel the best I have in my life. Sone people can handle a moderate amount of carbs, I cannot. Read the book "why we get fat" by Gary taubes, it's changed my life. Good luck
Mary Catherine
on 3/6/13 1:59 am

For almost everyone, we reach our goal at about one year out and then find we can eat all kinds of junk and not gain any weight back.  This part of the surgery honeymoon typically lasts until sometime between 18 and 30 months.  We eat, our intestines malabsorb and we do not gain.  But the body is smart and it learns how to start absorbing calories again.

The next part of the surgery journey is the bounce back regain stage.  When that starts, weight just comes back with no effort or change in eating habits.  If you were at goal and stopped losing weight, then the 20 or so pounds of regain really makes a big change in how you look and brings you up a size or two in clothing.

The smart thing to do now is to go back to losing weight.  It is fine to get to 10, 20 or even 30 pounds below your goal.  People will tell you that you are too skinny.  It is a change in life and will only last a short time.  Enjoy it.  They are partly concerned and partly jealous.  Complain to them about how difficult it is to find size zero in clothes you really like.

When your regain starts, you will have that cushion to fall back on and bounceback will get you to your true goal weight.  Your face and body will fill out quickly.  You will look and feel fantastic.

You don't need to fast.  You do need to stop the junk foods.  Eat protein first and some low carb vegetables.  Weigh yourself everyday.  Buy some clothes in the smaller sizes to get you through the next year.  Don't waste the rest of your honeymoon with bad habits.  Use the rest of the time to full advantage so that you can learn to maintain your goal weight for life.

coleman74
on 3/6/13 5:26 am - AL

I too am at my goal weight. I have found that I am eating foods that I know I should not. I decided this week that I am going to cut out the bad foods and get back to my protein and veggies. Today I am very hungry although I have eaten breakfast and lunch and also had a protein shake. Its only 3:30. Is it because I have been eating carbs lately? Do I have to let them get out of my system? I am also craving sweets which I did not eat much of before. I am still eating small portions but sometimes of the WRONG thing.

Most Active