SKIN SKIN SKIN!!!

happymomma307
on 3/16/13 6:36 am - OH

I'm nearly 10 months out and happy with my progress so far!  I'm down a total of 126 since my surgery date and 140 since the whole process started.  I exercise regularly but mostly cardio and I could really use some advice on toning a little!  I know I can't expect miracles but I see other pictures posted of people older than I am and they don't have nearly as much loose skin as I do!  What am I doing wrong?!?!  Is this going to get better in time?  PLEASE HELP!!!!!  Summer is coming and I want to be able to wear all the cute non plus size clothes with confidence!!!

Hislady
on 3/16/13 10:07 am - Vancouver, WA

Start some strength training to tighten the muscles under the skin, it won't make it perfect but will pull it up a little. I would also suggest if you don't know anything about it either go to a gym and get some lessons or hire a personal trainer for a few sessions so you learn to do it correctly. I see sooooo many twits at the gym who "think" they know what they are doing and they are just flapping their bodies around and not really getting the full benefit of it. There is a certain way to do things to really get the full benefit.

Valerie G.
on 3/16/13 11:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Unfortunately, there are no exercises or magic potions to tighten that skin.  Now, it does tighten a little over a couple of years, but nothing to get excited and write home about.  It's a combination of age, genetics, time MO, and plain luck that determines your luck of the draw.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

brookienewfie
on 3/16/13 11:44 am

Try taking pure MSM tablets as well as using MSM Soap and Cream. Do a little research of your own, but MSM is a natural form of sulfur that the body produces which also helps to increase the elastin and collagen in your skin. Exfoliate daily not only to rid old, dead skin but to also increase the blood circulation throughout your body. This too helps the skin kick back faster.

As someone previously suggested, get yourself a decent trainer, tell them your target areas and learn to do the exercises properly. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time at the gym and may possibly hurt yourself. You can even ask one of the more muscular guys that hang around the gym, they are often full of great advise and love to help the novice users.

People don't realize that when you lose a lot of weight fast, you will also loss some good muscle so it is important to do a lot of strength training, resistance bands and pilates.

Genetics play a huge part in our skins elasticity and its ability to "bounce back" after such a weight loss. If you've lost a 100lbs or more, it will most often take longer for the skin to bounce back. But the skin is a living organism, treat it right from the inside and out and you will get great results. You should only think of plastic surgery as a last resort. Be patient...it will take a couple of years, but it does get better.

LilSleeved
on 3/16/13 3:53 pm

You can do all the exercises and training you want, take all the supplements you can and still not see a big improvement with the excess skin.

Excess skin is related to:

1) genetics (biggest factor determining excess skin!  More so than initial weight AND age!)

2) Initial weight

3) how much you have lost and how many times you've lost a lot of weight (yo yo dieters have more excess skin when they lose weight.

It doesn't matter how fast you lose, if your genetics are not good in the skin department, you will have to have some plastics done.  I've had it all, but after losing over 300, I knew I would.  I would much rather have the scars than the fat!

Get to your goal, stay there for 6 months to a year and then have some plastic consults.   In the meantime, just be happy with the fact that that skin is no longer overinflated with fluff!

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

BlossomD
on 3/17/13 3:08 am
VSG on 03/19/13

Some people have plastic surgery too. 

3/6/13: Started 2 week pre-op fast for surgery: Lost 11 pounds

3/19:  Surgery

southbay311
on 3/17/13 5:17 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

I am 1 year out and down 162 pounds and have saggy crepey skin and thankfully wear clothes to cover the wrinkles.  I went to a support group that had a plastic surgeon as the guest speaker and the results of surgery were amazing.  I left there feeling awful, no insurance will cover the plastics....like a kid looking thru glass at the candy and can't reach it.  At least clothes can cover the issues. Better then having the skin filled with flab....Best to you.

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Laura in Texas
on 3/17/13 6:09 am

Great shapewear is the key. Pre-plastics, I wore shapewear that held everything in place. I really do not look any different in clothes now than pre-plastics.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

beverlyp
on 3/17/13 9:57 pm

do you guys have any suggestions for skin firming lotions.  I have been using Oil of Olay night firming cream on my hands for about a week and it has worked wonders, so I was wondering if it might do anything for the loose skin problem after my surgery.  The only problem is that its actually a face cream so it only comes in like a 2 oz. container.   Could get real expensive if i start slathering all over my thighs and belly. 

Most Active