Pre-op making myself future "Wins" to look forward to

Kim B.
on 3/25/13 8:12 am - worthington, OH
RNY on 04/15/13

Hi all!

I'm new to the board, and I just got my surgery date for April 15th.  Before my surgery I want to make myself a list of both the things I hate about being 400+ pounds, restrictions etc.  as well as a list of things to look forward to for motivation.  From what i'm told that after the surgery people regret it and go into a depression for a couple weeks.  I already deal with depression and anxiety, and want to prepare myself for ways to combat that post surgery. 

So, my question to you is what were your big or small Wins after the surgery.

Thanks,
Kim

karenp8
on 3/25/13 9:33 am - Brighton, IL

Here's a few things: being able to sit in a booth without wondering if I will fit,being able to tie my shoes with the bow in the middle and not on the side, being able to cross my legs, being able to wear a smaller size clothes than I ever wore before, being able to go down stairs without being out of breath, walking a 5k, having the energy to do anything I want, and not living my life focused on food.

MyLady Heidi
on 3/26/13 5:16 am

I can't speak to being depressed, I was beyond thrilled, I lived through the surgery and now was time to make it work.  Which I have and continue to do nearly 8 years later.  No time to feel sorry for yourself, being MO sucks, it is a death sentence, wls gives you a fighting chance.  I have no regard for my friend ice cream, it nearly killed me and made me diabetic, I have no desire to ever eat it again.

Good Luck!

MsBatt
on 3/26/13 7:09 am

I never had any 'buyer's remorse' after my DS. I had actually struggled with depression for YEARS pre-op, and about ten days post-op it just WENT AWAY. (This is NOT typical, BTW.)

Pre-op, I was virtually confined to a wheelchair, my knees were so bad. Doctors told me all they could do was replace them both, but that I was too heavy for that to really be a good idea. Three months POST-op, I was out working in my garden for hours at a time, and---I'm still using my original knees, over nine years later. (*grin*)

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that the first few weeks were EASY---but they weren't nearly as hard as I'd expected them to be. My surgeon's post-op plan was for two weeks of pureed foods, then two weeks of 'soft' foods, then regular foods.Pureed was difficult---there are lots of things that simple should NOT ever be pureed. 'Soft' foods was pretty easy, and when I reached 'regular' foods---I don't think I've ever enjoyed chewing so much! (*grin*)

I've lost 1.5 shoe sizes, and gone from a wide to a medium. I even had to have my glasses adjusted! I can stand on one leg and pull my pants on, something I hadn't done in YEARS. But one of the best things, that I enjoy every spring, is pulling out a pair of shorts I've had for SEVEN YEARS now. Not only do they fit, each year they're just a LITTLE BIT looser.

I LOVE my DS!

Most Active